Suunto Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jazz

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a new owner of a Suunto Mosquito, bought it at USD 264.00
I am kind of wondering if anyone owns one? Well, it's too late to find out it's reliability since I already bought it. I hear from somewhere that the first batch was a flop, does any one have any idea?

Jazz

But have a number of friends with Mosquito's. They are all very happy.

I have built more than 60 interfaces for Mosquito owners in South Africa, and have not yet met anyone here with any problems with either the Mosquito or Stinger.

Thanks for the assurance guys. It's good to know that I am not doomed. My friend called the Mosquito "a piece of junk" ;-(
Kinda sad after spending so much money that it got that kind of rating.

Jazz once bubbled...
Hi All,

I am a new owner of a Suunto Mosquito, bought it at USD 264.00
I am kind of wondering if anyone owns one? Well, it's too late to find out it's reliability since I already bought it. I hear from somewhere that the first batch was a flop, does any one have any idea?

Jazz

I have a Mosquito and have been please so far. I learned during my AOW certification weekend that my assistant instructor also has a Mosquito (although I believe it's a redundant backup computer for him).

My query about your location is due to the price you quote. My LDS gave a decent discount, but said that was all they could offer (i.e., the price on the box wasn't what I paid). I don't know if the "list" price is the same where you are, but the deal looks really good to me.

If you aren't already aware, Suunto doesn't warrant any purchase made from a non-authorized dealer (in particular, they don't allow any internet sales).

One tip that I got when changing the battery is to be very careful not to twist/rip the O-ring on the battery door. It wasn't too hard (and a US Quarter fits the slot in the battery cover perfectly!).

-Rob

I've had my mosquito(s) since certification in Feb. My next dive will be my 44th, and I'm on my 3rd mosquito.

The first one lasted through 17 whole dives, then one Friday evening in my computer room, it beeped and told me I was at 16' (and it wasn't even raining). Couldn't reset it, and the next morning still read 16'. I took it in to the LDS, and 2 WEEKS later, got the replacement (a brand new one). It was bad out of the box (backlight would "flicker", or not come on at all). They overnighted me a replacement. I've had this mosquito ever since.

The only thing I'm wondering about with this one is that I've noticed that my analog gauge consistantly reads 3' deeper than my mosquito.

BTW, if anyone wants a spare wetsuit strap (the extra one that comes with the mosquito), I've got a few lying around :D

Hi Rob,

I am located in Asia where things generally are deemed cheaper and YES ;-) I bought my mosquito from an authorised dealer and they told me to bring it back if I had problems.

So would you recommend that I keep a spare battery when I leave for my dive holiday? How long can a battery last?

How much does the interface cost in the US? I am still deciding if I need one.

:)

Jazz once bubbled...
So would you recommend that I keep a spare battery when I leave for my dive holiday? How long can a battery last?
That would be a good idea for any electronic device you are carrying....lights, camera, cpu/gauge, etc.

Reef Guy ...aahhhh now I know what that spare strap is for but I have not idea where and how to use it?

Where does it go?

Jazz

Back
Top Bottom