Suunto Mosquito played up - for the second time now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was recently on a dive with another instructor, our max depth was 28 meters, after the dive his Mosquito showed the max depth as 120 meters in the computers logbook mode after the dive. He has also experienced issues with the computer continuing to dive after he has surfaced, ie it gets stuck at 2 or 3 meters, even after exiting the water and continues to record dive time. Luckily he dives with 2 computers, so he always has a backup!

I have used the Gekko and the Vyper (original) and would highly recommend both models! Suunto tend to have good customer service if you ever need to replace the computer because of a defect. I know a few people who have the D4 and they all seem to love it, never had any issues with it, seems to be a good option if you want a watch-style computer from Suunto's current range!

I hope you and your wife enjoy the new computers!

Yeah, I have to say I loved the Mosquito. It's a straight forward no nonsense computer and it did exactly what I needed. Unfortunately I have now heard from quite a few people who's Mosquitos had exactly the same problems so it definitely seems as if there is a quality concern with the Mosquito.

I've asked around a lot since and it does appear to be only the Mosquito that is affected by this problem and everyone I spoke to had no problems whatsoever from Suunto when their Mosquitos played up. It would seem that Suunto takes their customers' concerns seriously and I'm looking forward to diving with the D4. I'll report back.

OTOH, my wife's Mosquito never had any problem...

Sure, I don't think every Mosquito ever made will start giving problems some time but it's probably accurate to say that a higher percentage of Mosquitos do end up giving this problem than many other computers.

Thanks, that's great advice. The only reason why I had initially chosen the Mosquito over the Gekko was because the Gekko's dive profiles can't be downloaded to the PC. I guess that leaves me with the D4 if I want to go bottom of the range?

I use a Vyper and a Gekko, I download both to my Mac computer using the same cable, and the MacDive software:

http:/thedoorisajar.org/macdive/

Perhaps someone else can advise if there is a similar PC compatible program that will permit downloading from the Gekko.

I use a Vyper and a Gekko, I download both to my Mac computer using the same cable, and the MacDive software:

http:/thedoorisajar.org/macdive/

Perhaps someone else can advise if there is a similar PC compatible program that will permit downloading from the Gekko.

That's very interesting. I was under the impression that the Gekko does not have an interface for connecting to the PC (or Mac or whatever). I'm not sure if Suunto's Dive Manager software can connect to the Gekko but I am sure that, if you can connect and download to it from a Mac, you'd be able to do so from a PC, even if you have to use 3rd party software.

My mosquito has never given me a problem after a 3 1/2 years and 70 dives. I also used to wear it as a normal watch until I scratched the screen during a dive. Now, I wish I'd bought the screen protector.

The mosquito is being demoted from my primary (only computer) to a backup. I'm replacing it with an Aeris Manta.

In my mind, determination of a fault-prone or buggy dive computer should be based on the percentage of units with the defect. Unfortunately, it's hard to get a handle on this number from anecdotal reports on an Internet discussion forum. I think we can all acknowledge that there's a "response bias" at play here, i.e., those with malfunctioning computers are more prone to post about their issues than divers with computers that work. There's also the motivation of compelling a manufacturer to take action on one's own case by posting about the issue on ScubaBoard.

FWIW, I've done about 250 dives on my Mosquito with no issues at all. (Of course, by stating this, I've jinxed it and will now be doomed to have major problems with it!)

i dive with a d4 and i love it
the only disadvantage was you dont have a gas switching option in-dive. but i knew this beforehand. deepstops, rgbm, attebuated rgbm, more sconservative profiles, great display, good looking watch. seems lslimmer than my friends d6
probably the next best dive gear ive ever bought next to my AL legencd lx acd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom