Suunto Mosquito at DiveInn.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! WantToBe, you are my HERO!!! I bought a custom Andy's DS3 from the fabulous folks at 5th Dimension. I'll email you about $$ & details. Did you get to try the Andy's suit when you did your open water checkout through that other LDS? Ya wanna go diving tonight? What about you Gearhead?

-kate

I'd LOVE to go diving tonight Kate, but I'm already committed to playing a softball double header. :(
You can count me in some other time, though!

Whoever does end up diving with the Mosquito first, please do post a review. It would be great to know what you think. I ordered mine from SimplyScuba this morning, and should receive it in a couple of weeks or sooner <fingers crossed>.

Thanks,

Rick

Scubakat - Thinks for the info on the Andy's DS3. I am looking for a drysuit but I still need to take the drysuit class. I would Luv to dive tonight but I have previous engagement plus I need to get all my gears first.

Sorry, could you send the email to "KWong@fluke.com". I at work sh sh sh....:wink:

What? Work? When there's SCUBA issues to discuss? No thanks. :)

I may actually fit in some work later this afternoon, but not on purpose. :wink:

It's been a while since Rcohn created that....

We need him to do a follow-up "long term test report".

The computer hasn't changed, not much new to report. I've gotten used to looking at the ascent indicator once I removed the shield. I'd still prefer it to be larger but it will do. The interface to download the data is easy to use and works well, just be careful connecting the Mosquito. Since I'm not used to having a computer that requires user settings (my Favor needs no inputs) before the dive, I've got to be sure to remember to set the correct mix before a nitrox dive and to be in the correct mode (ean, air or free). I've heard some complaints on the net about unidentified computers running up the O2 clock too fast so that divers need to switch to air by the 5th dive of the day on a liveaboard. In doing two dives on EAN 32 I don't think I went much over 20% of my O2 clock so it doesn't appear this will be a problem with the Suunto algorithm.

It would still be nice to replace the strap. It works well with the extension on my drysuit though somewhat sloppy with the straps flopping around, and fine on my bare wrist while freediving. Over a 7 mm wetsuit is was annoying how it slid around. I replaced the strap on my Favor with surgical tubing long ago but this isn't an option with the Mosquito.

Rodale's said the buttons were hard to press, I've had no problem. They are firm, but if the weren't they would be accidentally triggered all the time. I don't know about other opinions but I think there was a subtle bias against the Suunto computers in the recent Rodale's report, I wonder why?

I have a couple of comments about the Suunto Dive Manager software, it really needs an upgrade badly. Note this isn't a Mosquito issue, this only refers to the software on the PC. Since every freedive appears as an individual dive, I literally have hundreds of freedives mixed in with the scuba dives. Obviously, I don't want to keep a log of each dive. The software is supposed to recognize old dives and only add new dives to the log. This doesn't work with freedives! So each time I download more dives the hundreds of freedives are added again, sometimes the scuba dives are also logged again. Just delete them you say? Well you can only select one dive at a time and you must click yes/no buttons after hitting delete. What a pain! The software is useful, but it needs a serious upgrade.

You can export the data into a data file that can be read by Excel. Maybe if I feel ambitious this winter I figure out something to do with all those freedive profiles.

Overall, I think the freedive mode is the best feature and the Mosquito works fine, I'm glad I bought it. If I wasn't interested in the freedive mode I may have chosen the Vyper instead or waited to see what's next.

Ralph

Great report, Ralph. Thanks for taking the time.

Rick

I'll add my thanks Ralph....good reports both times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom