Suunto Interface Users question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got the PC Interface for my Suunto Mosquito on order, and I'm planning on logging my dives on my PC either instead of, or in addition to my standard log.
For those of you that already use the Suunto log, do you still maintain a paper dive log at all? If so, do you print out the dive data from the Suunto application, or do you still write out the info. on your "old school" log book?
I haven't decided what I will do yet, but printing to 8.5 x 11 paper seems to be inconvenient. And I'd still like to maintain a hardcopy of my dive history in my gearbag.

Penny for your thoughts, :question:

GearHead

I write up my log book on the boat. Chews up some S.I. and the details are still fresh in my mind. Of course, I just stroke through the dive profile section and write across it "COMPUTER". I retrieve my bottom temps, times, from the puter and add it to the paper log later!

DIR requires a hardcopy backup, clipped off in a bellows folder with a regular stainless steel bolt clip (substitute a large bolt clip if you do not have central heating and you have to wear gloves) in case of hard disk failure. Point it out to your buddy in the pre-divelog briefing. Stick to the divelog plan - should the computer fail, use your hardcopy backup to make a safe ascent into reality.

I just went to a setup that allows me to get the best of both worlds, I found that I pretty much had stopped logging dives on paper and relying on the computer and my memory of the dive to fill in the logbook in the Suunto application once I got home - I got lazy. What I've done to solve for my laziness is to go to a 3-ring binder with log pages that I whipped up in Word printed on the back of the sheets of paper as they sit in the binder (I also included a dive profile graphic in case I dive tables.) This allows for me to fill out a paper log and make notes on site then to go home, D/L the dive computer into the logbook app, then print the Suunto generated logbook pages on the front of the page that my paper log of the dive is located. That way you have the information in an easy to read format on the computer generated pages that has your profile, SAC rate and tissue loading information for the dive, but you will retain a handwritten version as well. If you want me to fire out a copy of the log page (which is Suunto specific, the fields match up with the fields that you have to enter into logbook program) let me know and I'll send it to you.

GearHead once bubbled...
For those of you that already use the Suunto log, do you still maintain a paper dive log at all? If so, do you print out the dive data from the Suunto application, or do you still write out the info. on your "old school" log book?

I still maintain a paper logbook. I take data from the suunto dive log and put it in my paper log [like SAC rate and average depth]. I generally have different writeups [not very wordy in my 'paper' dive log, much more explicit 'cause they were e-mails or posts that I cut and pasted into my Dive Manager].

Why? First, I've had a few problems here and there that caused me to have to re-install [I'm pretty sure it's when a download gets aborted], and if I don't start over from scratch it still won't work [it apparently corrupts the dive log].

Secondly, I don't always agree with my computer on what is a dive. I've had quite a few where we went down for a couple minutes, then surfaced to work out a problem, and go back down. That ain't two dives in my book. Likewise if I stay on the surface to long between setting the anchors and getting my buddy in the water, I end up with two dives.... but it's one.

There are plenty of other reasons...but basically I've got a book right here that is my 'official' dive log. All the PC/PDA/nintendo dive logs are just tools to play with...

I print out all of my dives and insert them into the cheap light weight clear sheet protectors (two dives per sheet protector back to back) and put them in a 3-ring binder. :)

bengiddins once bubbled...
Stick to the divelog plan - should the computer fail, use your hardcopy backup to make a safe ascent into reality.

Computers are unnecessary and an additional point of failure. You only need a calculator and your brain... :)

GP once bubbled...
I print out all of my dives and insert them into the cheap light weight clear sheet protectors (two dives per sheet protector back to back) and put them in a 3-ring binder. :)

Me too, but I have a laminator :D

I use one of those half-sized, 3 ring binders. Print two dives on each sheet of paper, fold the paper in half, punch the appropriate holes to fit into the binder. I sandwich any certification dives, which require signatures, inside the folded paper. The dive profiles and all the other data adds a nice touch.

There are some great ideas here, and I appreciate the tips. I am a bit concerned about reality/illusion entanglement hazards from bengiddins' suggestion, though. :wink:
Thanks again!

Cheers, :cheers:

GearHead

Back
Top Bottom