Suunto Favor S - first dive computer (DC)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11B3Y

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a few questions I would like to ask the board to solicit your opinions and generate some thoughtful discussion on the purchase of a Suunto Favor S dive computer (DC).

Some background: Since I have just recently got back into diving, I have had to expend a large sum of money just getting the basics. I am now at a point where I am considering a dive computer to replace "The Wheel/Analog Watch/Max Depth Indicator" I am using now to track and document my dives.

I am considering a Suunto Favor S for the following reasons:

-short of cash (this will become a back up for a more fully featured DC sometime next year,(ex. Suunto Vyper / Uwatec Smart Pro) just want something now)
-auto start/end dive time (replaces the watch, less task loading)
-no deco time based on dive profile, not rigid table (more bottom time)
-max depth (primary source of max depth, Dive Rite Console MDI secondary)
-actual dive time (replaces the watch, less task loading)
-ascent rate warning (would replace the watch/depth gauge method which is NOT easy)
-water temp (no instrument to measure this at this time) :(
-bar graph of nitrogen loading
-consumed bottom time

Does anyone else here use this DC as their primary DC?

How do you document your dives?

This will be my primary DC on a week long cruise with multiple daily dives.

As usual, "constructive" comments are greatly appreciated. :wink:

Thomas

Originally posted by 11B3Y

Does anyone else here use this DC as their primary DC?

The older nearly identical version, the Favor, was my primary dive computer for several years. Now it stays on my arm right next the Mosquito computer. My wife still uses her's as her primary computer.

How do you document your dives?

Uh...fill in a log book. The computer has a log mode that hold 9 dives. After each day of diving I'd copy the data into my log.

This will be my primary DC on a week long cruise with multiple daily dives.

Sounds fine, it was my primary computer on two liveaboards and several land based trips.

As usual, "constructive" comments are greatly appreciated. :wink:

Very nice solid reliable computer, gives you everything you really need for air diving. You can use it with nitrox but you will only be able to benefit from add conservatism no extended bottom time. It also doesn't have the more conservative RGBM algorithm, but it is more conservative than most computers.

I changed to the Mosquito computer to get the freediving mode and the ability to download dives to my PC.

Ralph

rcohn,

Great response! Exactly the kind of "hands on" info I was searching for.....

Thank you very much,

Thomas

If I could get a quick question in here about the Favor S, is the battery user replaceable or do you have to send it in to a servicing center. My wife would like to get the Favor S, for very much the same reasons simple and affordable.
Thank you
Max

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom