Suunto Eon Core

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rabbit732

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have one with the transmitter?
How do you like it?
Easy to use? Easy to navigate?
Worth the purchase?

im looking at new computers

TIA

I have one. I do only rec diving and I like it a lot. Very small and light for the display size and you can customize the display to your liking. I use the bungee mount (comes with it) and it is very easy to put on/take off.

The two biggest knocks (and I am sure there will be more on this) is that is uses a proprietary algorithm and that Suunto does not have a great reputation for customer service. Regarding the algorithm, if you are only looking at rec diving, I think it is fine. My NDL has always been within a couple of minutes of my buddy who dives with a Perdix and has a more widely accepted algorithm. If I was serious about going into Tech diving, I would think about the Perdix. I like the display and the compass better on the Eon over the Perdix and have no interested in Tech diving so the Eon works better for me. Regarding customer support, I have not had to use it, the only time I had an issue, I took it to my LDS who is a Suunto service center and they took care of me. The link between the transmitter and the unit is very solid, I have never had any dropouts and it seems more stable than my buddies Perdix but that is subjective. One of my gripes on the eon is that they have removed the transmitter service kits from the market. So, they basically want you to use a service center to change the battery where you used to be able to to that yourself. They seem to last a fairly long time and I typically just have that done when I get my reg's serviced but would like it if you could do it yourself.

I have one. I do only rec diving and I like it a lot. Very small and light for the display size and you can customize the display to your liking. I use the bungee mount (comes with it) and it is very easy to put on/take off.

The two biggest knocks (and I am sure there will be more on this) is that is uses a proprietary algorithm and that Suunto does not have a great reputation for customer service. Regarding the algorithm, if you are only looking at rec diving, I think it is fine. My NDL has always been within a couple of minutes of my buddy who dives with a Perdix and has a more widely accepted algorithm. If I was serious about going into Tech diving, I would think about the Perdix. I like the display and the compass better on the Eon over the Perdix and have no interested in Tech diving so the Eon works better for me. Regarding customer support, I have not had to use it, the only time I had an issue, I took it to my LDS who is a Suunto service center and they took care of me. The link between the transmitter and the unit is very solid, I have never had any dropouts and it seems more stable than my buddies Perdix but that is subjective. One of my gripes on the eon is that they have removed the transmitter service kits from the market. So, they basically want you to use a service center to change the battery where you used to be able to to that yourself. They seem to last a fairly long time and I typically just have that done when I get my reg's serviced but would like it if you could do it yourself.
Thank you for the solid, detailed response. That’s exactly the type of I do I am looking for.
The big question: if you had to buy it again, would you? Or would you go a different route?

Thank you for the solid, detailed response. That’s exactly the type of I do I am looking for.
The big question: if you had to buy it again, would you? Or would you go a different route?

Hi Rabbit732 - Yes, I would. I was just asked this by a person that is a friend of mine and is just starting to scuba. I told him the same thing. I would buy it again.

Love my Eon Core - super easy to use interface and great display. Transmitter works flawlessly.

Example of ease of use. I usually have the tank pressure displayed in PSI but on vacation I was diving with a shop that did everything in BAR. I made the switch in under a minute, never having done it before or even knowing where to start.

The suunto app however is terrible. Designed for runners and hikers not divers. I use MacDive on my iPhone instead which works great and downloads from the eon over bluetooth.

I think it's easy to confuse the Core with the Tech computers it looks much like, and Suunto's marketing are clearly pushing it as a sort of "cross over" computer.

But, IMO, it's not a Tech computer, but it is a REALLY good Rec computer. Big, clear colour screen, big buttons, easy to navigate menus, easy to set up, a decently configerable display where you can configure exactly what YOU want to see on the screen, the AI is for me so far perfect, no drop outs, and can link to multiple transmitters (although no easy way of showing multiple pressures at once currently).

It's also reasonably compact, has been pretty tough, and the pricing is just about ok for what you are getting (the transmitters are expensive when bought on their own)
Battery life is good, charging easy with the magnetic USB cable too.

As someone who has no interest in wearing a "dive watch" style computer i think the Core is a pretty good option. Yes, the Deco algorythm is proprietry, no you can't change it (other than turning deep stops on/off and having a few selections for conservatism that effectively trim the stop times ) but for Rec diving, it'll keep you safe, and that's frankly all that matters really.

It's also simple enough that for those divers that don't want to get bogged down in Deco theory and have to read a 100 page manual just to turn the thing on, they can pretty much just strap it to their wrist and jump in, and that is probably more important than many of us divers on here consider it to be for a lot of Rec divers :)

Here's a Dutch review of Suunto's algorithm update of March 2020. It includes a dive plan for a deep dive (52 m, 10 min) in the original Fused RGBM algorithm and the new Fused RGBM2. The result: 30 min less deco stop time with the updated version.
As I said, it's in Dutch. But I think Google Translate does a decent enough job to understand the article.

Here's a Dutch review of Suunto's algorithm update of March 2020. It includes a dive plan for a deep dive (52 m, 10 min) in the original Fused RGBM algorithm and the new Fused RGBM2. The result: 30 min less deco stop time with the updated version.
As I said, it's in Dutch. But I think Google Translate does a decent enough job to understand the article.
I am unable to translate a website url in google translate. Or is it not supposed to work that way? Do I need to paste the contents of the entire page into the translate text box?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom