Suunto Dive software DM4 to be mac compatible in the fall of 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just downloaded and installed DM4. I imported all my dives from DM3.1.1 and all the information including notes is there.

The only things that are not available are multiple user accounts, gear configuration and the gas blending panel. The latter is my only real issue. The dive planner works nice and the software will be available for my iPad soon. The software now also better displays deco and ascent information as to the previous version.

Did you have to do anything special to get the device to connect? What computer do you have? I just tried a different dive software and it captured dives from my device just fine. I'm really disappointed my vytec doesn't even show connection in the DM4 no matter what I do.

This is what I just tried. Diving Log 5.0 - scuba logbook software for diver - dive log, scuba log

I have a Helo2, D9 and a Zoop. I did nothing special. I connect the DC to my laptop and it immediately downloads the dive profiles. Only problem I have is that I can't delete any dives.

I just downloaded the version for MAC and it does not work... Cannot get my dive computer to connect to the software, cannot change any of the settings and its just plain ugly for a mac application. Do not waste your time on this, macdive is much better (but it does not allow to change the dive computer settings which is what I was hoping to do with DM4)

I just downloaded the version for MAC and it does not work... Cannot get my dive computer to connect to the software, cannot change any of the settings and its just plain ugly for a mac application. Do not waste your time on this, macdive is much better (but it does not allow to change the dive computer settings which is what I was hoping to do with DM4)

WaterV, did you also download/install the Mono 2.1 ".NET framework" driver/component required to run the Mac version ? I'm having no connectivity issues on 3 different Mac's with 3 different OS (10.4 & 10.6 & 10.7), Suunto D4i (the new one).

I agree that MacDive 2.1 is the "more fun" app of the two, and is more robust. However the DM4 does have the planner, and the Tissue Compartment Saturation graphs which I do find helpful. The whole Movescount Online Social thingy, doesn't do anything for me, as I am not a "social" person. That's what really seems to be behind the DM4/Movescount thing. I think both app's (MacDive & DM4) have their place, but yeah, I would expect more from Suunto in their software. FWIW, I'm using both, if for nothing else, backup & redundancy.

I did install the Mono 2.1. I can open DM4 but it does not recognize my dive computer... Do you plug it in first and then load the software or vice versa or does it matter?

I did install the Mono 2.1. I can open DM4 but it does not recognize my dive computer... Do you plug it in first and then load the software or vice versa or does it matter?

I don't think it matters, but I usually open software first, then plug D4i in. With that said have you "selected" your computer in settings in DM4 ? using a real Suunto cable ? It's probably something quirky like that. If you can;t figure it out, Suunto Tech support is pretty decent. They answer the phone 24/7 Monday through Saturday I think, and are also real good with email as well.

The replies do not make this look too promising. I have been using Parallels with my Mac which is a pain in the a$% but it works. I don't like using parallels unless I have to. Not a fan of leaving 2 operating systems running on the same computer.

If I combine this software issue with the next to USELESS backlight of the Vyper Air, I may just end up switching to another brand.

The replies do not make this look too promising. I have been using Parallels with my Mac which is a pain in the a$% but it works. I don't like using parallels unless I have to. Not a fan of leaving 2 operating systems running on the same computer.

If I combine this software issue with the next to USELESS backlight of the Vyper Air, I may just end up switching to another brand.

I'm confused as to the mention of using Parallels. There is both a Windows version and a Mac version. I have both, installed on their respective machines and OS's. Both are working properly for me. Both versions require that you download and install a ".NET Framework" thingy for it to work properly. With that said, is DM4 a great program ? Eh, could be better. Seems like they are working on it with updates, etc.

If you are a die hard Mac person, then;
1 - Give MacDive a try. It's great !!!
2 - Unless it's absolutely necessary, dump Parallels & keep "non-native" software & programs off of your precious Mac :D Perhaps your line of work requires both, which I respect. Sometimes you need Windows and a DB9 or DB25 serial port for "programming other things". Just my 2 cents :wink:

I tried the DM4 and it is not as functional as it should be. No way to delete dives, can't find a way to print them either. Not sure they were really ready to release this. I think I did try MacDive and had some problems with it. Don't remember, it was a while ago. May try it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Back
Top Bottom