Suunto D9 Strap problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone

I just finished a few dives in the Galapagos Islands and on my 2nd dive day I noticed that my D9 strap was breaking down. I was worried that I would loose it at depth so I scavenged the tether from my small dive light and tied it to the D9. One of the people I dove with also had a D9 and his previous strap broke and now he has it tethered when he dives. Rather than buying another strap that will fail I would like to solve this problem now. I was looking at replacing the strap but on reading about this problem online I think I should find a better solution. Has anyone used the Suunto D9 Titanium Tibby Adapters? The adapters are Ti and with the strap you are looking at $155, not bad since a replacement strap is about $70.

Thanks everyone

I use Titanium strap for the start, here is picture of my 10 year old strap that I never used. In a plastic bag in a box. Can't even pick it up. Guess they were all made in China.

Attachments

• 73a62831-24cd-41d4-8572-c092367ea037.JPG
    73a62831-24cd-41d4-8572-c092367ea037.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 143
I have the orange Tibby strap for my D6. Just make sure you have the right tools for the adaptor. I ended up having to purchase a new bezel for the computer because one of the screws were stripped.

I have lost recently a D4i during a dive.

Some other divers on the boat showed me that they used bungee to double the straps

It seems like the dive company that made the Tibby adapter for the Suunto D9 is now explicitly stating that they do not have any tibby adapters that fit the Suunto D9 dive computer. The only resource I can find for a replacement strap that is active is the person in Russia who uses a 3d printer to make a 2 piece bungee mount. Has anyone ordered this from scubaprintedparts.com and did you receive the mount in the expected amount of time? Here's the reply I received when I inquired about the ordering and shipping process as of Oct 28, 2022:

We ship from Moscow, Russia.
For Sale - 50+ models of bungee adapters for computers and compasses
It usually takes 3-5 weeks to US.

Best regards,
Vladimir Lopatin

This is probably way too late for the OP, but when the strap on my compass began breaking, I used zip ties and small bungee straps to convert it to bungie mount - probably cost $10 total.

However, the compass had hard corners that zip ties could securely hold. May be harder for a round computer.

Im cheap, I cant imagine shelling out $70 for a broken strap.

It seems like the dive company that made the Tibby adapter for the Suunto D9 is now explicitly stating that they do not have any tibby adapters that fit the Suunto D9 dive computer. The only resource I can find for a replacement strap that is active is the person in Russia who uses a 3d printer to make a 2 piece bungee mount. Has anyone ordered this from scubaprintedparts.com and did you receive the mount in the expected amount of time? Here's the reply I received when I inquired about the ordering and shipping process as of Oct 28, 2022:

We ship from Moscow, Russia.
For Sale - 50+ models of bungee adapters for computers and compasses
It usually takes 3-5 weeks to US.

Best regards,
Vladimir Lopatin
I searched all possible options for buying a different/better strap but found nothing. Even suunto original strap is not available/buyable.
In the end, I bought this 3d print strap, so far it looks like an optimal replacement. I'll check it next month at sea during my first dive.
Delivery to EU: 4 weeks, 1 week correspondence with customs for import. The seller is very helpful, responds quickly to emails,...I recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_9291.jpg
    IMG_9291.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9292.jpg
    IMG_9292.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9293.jpg
    IMG_9293.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9294.jpg
    IMG_9294.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9295.jpg
    IMG_9295.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 89
Update: just done 10 dives, bungee still holding. In fact it's better than original strap (for use with 7mm wet suit).

Back
Top Bottom