Suunto D6i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KawabungaDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning all.I was looking into purchasing a Suunto D6i and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this computer?Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.On paper it looks good but I was looking for some feedback how it actually performs in the real world.Any issues with the transmitter? Or are they pretty reliable?Thanks again in advance! http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/Standard Smiles/04.gif

If you have good eyes and you're looking for a wrist watch computer, that needs to be returned to shop for an expensive battery change, paying a silly amount for down load cable, sketchy customer service should you need it from Suunto, somewhat difficult to activate buttons if wearing gloves, a conservative algoryhthm then it's a good computer. You can get more for less. Don't mean to sound like an ass but you could probably do better unless you specifically like the Suunto, in which case go for it, but my first points stand. But like all things it's just a personal opinion. For the record I've owned several Suunto computers and two of the three proved very reliable but I ended up needing different things/more things so sold them and moved on. There are most definitely better companies to deal with who offer similar options, Oceanic for example.

Well, I am definitely open to suggestions!

Any computers that might have better customer service and or need less service?

What type of diving do you do/like to do/is in your immediate future? What features are a must have for you? Do you travel dive? Do you have good eye sight? Do you do lots of night diving? Can you afford to replace the computer should the strap fail and it gets lost? (Extreme but it does happen)...are happy to either carry an SPG as back up or are you ok to end the dive should your transmitter fail?

When you say open to suggestions, certainly on SB anyway, a Shearwater Petrel will be recommended and for good reason but it may not be what you're looking for or what you need. More info will help people make better suggestions. Cheers

I will most likely do mainly warm water recreational diving and wont be doing too much traveling but I guess it is possible in the future. I was really trying to find an air integrated computer that's reliable and easy to use. I also would prefer a wrist mounted unit which is why I was looking at the D6.There are just so many out there I really have no idea how to chose. I really like the Oceanic VTX as well

My computer selection criteria, but of course my needs may not be the same as yours and mine have changed over the years:

Does the company have a great reputation for customer service, can bungees be fitted to computer for redundancy so I'm not likely to lose it, does it use cheap, easy to find batteries, are they user replaceable and idiot proof, is it colour (my eyes are dying), will it lock me out if I violate it, do I need to pay extra for a down load cable, is the computer customisable (screen lay out and settings) The answer to all these questions pointed to either Sheawater or Heinrichs Weikamp.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2015 at 08:25 AM ----------

I'd stay away from that oceanic model, looks to be the same as the Aeris which has had many issues. I don't know if they've been sorted or not. Oceanic does have a good reputation in the main for customer service which you may well need to test with that computer.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2015 at 08:25 AM ----------

It's a shame too as it looks like a very nice computer.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2015 at 08:28 AM ----------

Check out this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/aeris/478917-a300cs-oled-dive-computer.html

There are several others running over in Aeris sub forum.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2015 at 08:30 AM ----------

I'm almost positive it's the same computer. FYI Aeris and Oceanic are the same company, Oceanic being the parent company, just different branding recently Oceanic dropped the Aeris line, kept some stuff and re branded it Oceanic and dropped the rest.

Yes i believe they are exactly the same as well. Are either of the two you recommended air integrated?

Yes i believe they are exactly the same as well. Are either of the two you recommended air integrated?

Unfortunately for you, no. There is not an AI computer on the market currently that I could/would recommend. Not necessarily because of the AI feature but those that have AI have features I don't want/need or don't have features I want/need. "For me" AI is just an unnecessary expense and I don't see what benefit it brings. FTR I'm not against AI just not for it either. Some people have it and love it like so many things in diving personal preference often plays a big part. I'm sure I have dive gear others wouldn't want.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2015 at 09:08 AM ----------

But I doubt it...lol

I guess that leaves me with the atomic Cobalt 2. It has every feature minus the wrist mount.

Do a search here on SB, the cobalt hasn't been without its problems, seems a bit hit and miss, some have had no problems some it seems have been plagued with them.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2015 at 09:31 AM ----------

I've offered all I can. Hopefully some other members who own the ones you've listed or are considering will chime in and offer you a different perspective. Good luck with your search.

Back
Top Bottom