Suunto D5 vs. Eon Core Dive Computer

Which dive watch/computer to choose?

• Suunto Eon Core

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Suunto D5

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi fellow divers! My older Zoop Novo has broken so I'm in the market for a new dive computer and could use some friendly advice!

Main purpose is recreational diving (advanced open water) rather than technical diving but I've been going deeper into this hobby. This computer will be used solely for diving and will not be worn as a fitness tracker outside of the water.

I've had my eye on the Suunto D5 with its nice colorful screen and convenient watch form factor. However, I also came across the slightly older Suunto Eon Core and am now torn between the two.

Suunto D5
Pros:
-
smaller form factor (less obstructive)
- higher screen resolution
- normal length wrist strap
- vibration alarm

Eon Core:
Pros:
- larger screen is easier to read underwater
- can connect to more tank (although I doubt I'll ever use this)
- longer battery life

Have you guys used either of these or do you have any suggestions? I'm coming from a Zoop Novo which was fine but always felt a bit bulky. Both of these Suuntos are smaller but I'm wondering if the larger screen on the EON Core will be more advantageous underwater and easier to keep track of the core diving calculations vs. the smaller screen on the D5. I also didn't like the long strap much on my old Zoop Novo but understand it's meant for thicker suits and dry suits as well.

Any recommendations or tips to help me choose between the two would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,
I have used the D5 since was launched in 2019, and I recently moved to EON Core. I use also the tank pods, actually 2, as I dive sidemount.
I loved the D5, for recreational dives is a wonderful computer, easy to read and to use, the virbation alarm is useful. You can connect it to the samrthphone to get the gps location of your entry, and when out of water to get notifications for messages, phone calls, etc. It looks very nice also as watch to wear every day.
Downside is the limitation when You grow as diver, as it can't handle trimix gases.

I changed to the EON CORE basically for tow reasons:

1) moving to trimix, that the D5 can't handle
2) multiple software failures: I sent the D5 twice to Suunto, and they on both occasion changed the entire computer, but without solving the problem. they said it was due to the connection to the phone app, but anyway I felt not secure to dive with a computer with this problem.

The EON core has basically all the feautures of the D5, except the vibration. The screen is good, I would say little less brigth then D5, but still readable in every condition.
The compass seems to be more precise than the D5.
In general I consider the EON CORE a very good computer for recreational divers, and even for beginners technical divers.
However, if I should buy now a computer, probably I would consider to spend little more and get a Sherawater Teric or Perdix.

I don't have experience with either of those listed, but based on your PRO's I probably will decide on EON Core.

Neither, stay away from Suunto and its proprietary algorithms. If you don't want to go with Shearwater, there are less expensive equvalents, e.g. Deep 6.

Back
Top Bottom