Question Suunto D5 still lock out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A deco stop can be triggered when it's not required??? How could you possibly know that? You're going to ignore a deco stop based on the assumption that it's not required? It may not be required by another computer, but that doesn't mean one is wrong.

And yeah, if anyone routinely drives through red lights, I'd want their car to lock them out of driving for a long time. Like forever.

The Suunto toys self-brick themselves for 48 hours This is butt-covering fascism and not a safety feature.

There’s valid reasons for violating a decompression stop as mandated by those computers. Firstly, if you’re using it as a backup computer and the other is a proper computer running Bulhmann, the Suunto will add extra time even if it’s set to the most "aggressive" attitude.

Secondly, if you’ve other very good reasons to ascend a little early, say a couple of minutes before it’s given you permission to ascend, your decompression obligation will basically be completed but the computer will go into sulk mode. The computer is a guide and has no consideration of your personal circumstances.

48 hours is a massive amount of time for the thing to sulk. Imagine being on a live aboard.

How many people have bricked the thing by changing dive modes? Mine bricked itself after five mins in a swimming pool after arriving on holiday — then the bastard added another two days because I got it wet again before it’s sulk was over. Pathetic thing.

The Suunto toys self-brick themselves for 48 hours This is butt-covering fascism and not a safety feature.

48 hours is a massive amount of time for the thing to sulk. Imagine being on a live aboard.

Mine bricked itself after five mins in a swimming pool after arriving on holiday — then the bastard added another two days because I got it wet again before it’s sulk was over. Pathetic thing.
Yeah, my Suunto Eon Core bricked in a 9 foot pool while I was teaching (OW computer familiarization) because it had only 2 hours of battery life left. My wife's bricked in Honduras (on our last dive thank God) because she raised her hand up too fast at the end of a safety stop and I didn't get it back in the water to 10 feet fast enough to satisfy the new stop requirement. Then, it tried to do it again (raised hand) after a 30 foot dive and safety stop clear, until I tied it off to a line with a 2lb weight and dropped it into the water for 3 minutes. Since then, we are VERY careful with them. I suppose that's the point, but it's a little ridiculous.

This is documented in the Suunto manual -- a "fast" ascent will mandate a safety stop. I say fast in quotes because it's not specified what the time interval over the measurement is, it's possible a reasonable change in depth or a fast movement of your arm might trigger the mandated safety stop.
I wonder what it would do with a 60 FPM straight to the top from, say, 90 ft ....

I wonder what it would do with a 60 FPM straight to the top from, say, 90 ft ....
Ooh, ooh, I know! It will tell you to descend for your safety stop, and if you don't it'll lock you out for two days. I've never missed a stop like that, but that ROA is a little fast for Suunto, in my experience. And don't raise your arm too fast while on your stop (or while ascending), because it'll add time and possibly lock you out for that too. Look, I don't "hate" my Suunto. But it's a little ridiculous at times.

Ooh, ooh, I know! It will tell you to descend for your safety stop, and if you don't it'll lock you out for two days. I've never missed a stop like that, but that ROA is a little fast for Suunto, in my experience. And don't raise your arm too fast while on your stop (or while ascending), because it'll add time and possibly lock you out for that too. Look, I don't "hate" my Suunto. But it's a little ridiculous at times.
Bu bu bu bu....

That's entirely within rec dive NDL protocol.

I hate machines that think they know more than a knowledgable person. I don't like flying in airplanes that think they know more than the pilot. Or with a pilot that doesn't know when to kill the autopilot and fly the machine by hand. (The "problem" with the Boeing 737 Max? See above for the fix.)

And worse, they only semi-brick themselves. They still function as a gauge. What good is a depth gauge if I’m not supposed to be diving?

This is like the car letting you drive it, but disabling the brakes, seatbelts, airbags, and blacking out the windshield. Speedometer works just fine though.

To be fair, other computers that lockout do the same. Most wait until out of the water, though.

This is documented in the Suunto manual -- a "fast" ascent will mandate a safety stop. I say fast in quotes because it's not specified what the time interval over the measurement is, it's possible a reasonable change in depth or a fast movement of your arm might trigger the mandated safety stop.

The Suunto D manuals say a fast ascent rate is 10m per minute for more than 5 seconds. I have a D6 and there's an indicator that continually shows your ascent rate. If you trigger the fast ascent rate, all it means is a few extra seconds safety stop (depending on the severity of the ascent rate breach).

You are allowed to ignore that 'mandatory' safety stop and nothing bad will happen to the DC. It will just recalculate a shorter no-deco time for your next dive, unless you prolong your surface interval.

Interested in a D5 but read comments about them locking for 48hrs if it doesn't think you did the deco stop (you tube video saying it locked after he came up from a 2m dive). Anyone know if this has been changed with a software update or an option to disable it as I don't want a computer that locks for 2 days if I dive to the bottom of the pool.
abit late to the party but is all sunto dive comps have this feature? or is it mainly for D5?.

Suunto might be over the top but this is pretty common behavior for "recreational" computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom