Question Suunto D5 still lock out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abit late to the party but is all sunto dive comps have this feature? or is it mainly for D5?.
I'm not aware of any Suunto computer that doesn't have this "feature."

As mentioned, the majority of recreational dive computers do have a lockout. Not many, however, lockout underwater. Not sure if current Suunto computers still lock out underwater, but in certain situations they did. Also the 48 hours is a bit much, in my opinion.

I have 5 dive computers in the family. 3 Oceanics, 1 Garmin, and 1 Shearwater. Between the three companies involved, there are three ways that violations are handled, and in my opinion all of them are more reasonable than a 48 hour lockout that Suunto employs.

Oceanic: After certain violations, the dive computer will only function in gauge mode for 24 hours. I never tried it, but I believe it's a 24 hour surface interval, so submerging again in gauge mode will reset the clock.

Garmin: After certain violations, the dive computer will only function in gauge mode for 24 hours. Similar to the Oceanic. However, this lockout can be turned off by the user.

Shearwater: No lockout. Dive computer will continue to function as a dive computer and continue to track tissue loading.

The Suunto toys self-brick themselves for 48 hours This is butt-covering fascism and not a safety feature.

There’s valid reasons for violating a decompression stop as mandated by those computers. Firstly, if you’re using it as a backup computer and the other is a proper computer running Bulhmann, the Suunto will add extra time even if it’s set to the most "aggressive" attitude.

Secondly, if you’ve other very good reasons to ascend a little early, say a couple of minutes before it’s given you permission to ascend, your decompression obligation will basically be completed but the computer will go into sulk mode. The computer is a guide and has no consideration of your personal circumstances.

48 hours is a massive amount of time for the thing to sulk. Imagine being on a live aboard.

How many people have bricked the thing by changing dive modes? Mine bricked itself after five mins in a swimming pool after arriving on holiday — then the bastard added another two days because I got it wet again before it’s sulk was over. Pathetic thing.
If it happens during a LOB, I guess you can remove the battery and reset it.

Plus your kind of SOL because now all your tissue loading from all your previous dives is gone.

Not even sure that would unlock the thing.

Probably the most effective way to unlock it is buy a Shearwater and get rid of it.

Spot on!

Also if you’re super short on cash if you shop around you can pick up used Petrels for dirt cheep.

It's interesting, I believe Suunto's are the most widely used rental fleet computers. I have a vague recollection about hearing there exists an easier mechanism for an LDS to reset the tissue loadings (before they rent it out to the next diver).

I agree that there are better computers out there. But, for a new recreational diver, the Suunto is a viable affordable option. Most new recreational divers, who are trained to follow their computer religiously, don't have the knowledge to know that they could skip the required (by computer) stop. The stop will not hurt them. I dove a Suunto for 5 yrs without a lockout, I only saw the potential to lockout on one ascent, but did the 2 min stop and it cleared without lockout. I will argue that a new recreational diver who chooses to miss a stop should be locked out for 48 hours. As the diver gains experience then the lockout becomes an issue and they should (as I have) move to a different computer that allows them to make informed decisions during their dive. For a purely recreational diver, the Suunto computers are just fine. They are better than tables because they adapt and can be used/reviewed during the dive. IMHO

I will argue that a new recreational diver who chooses to miss a stop should be locked out for 48 hours.
I don’t think the problem is recreational divers that choose to miss a stop. That implies that the diver knew a stop was required, and either just ignored it, or had an issue that they decided was best to sort on the surface.

The former fits into the group below. The latter is informed and capable of making decisions. They should be able to decide what is best for them.

The bigger issue is that divers omit a stop because they have no idea what their computer has been trying to tell them, or they simply don’t check. I’d argue that these divers (along with those that ignore the stop) should probably not be diving. At least not without being under close professional supervision.

When one of these computers locks out, it continues to function in gauge mode, so unless a dive op catches it and forces the diver to sit out, they may still dive. Lockouts are simply ineffective. Most people wouldn’t accept this with other devices we buy, but many accept it with dive computers.

Isn’t that like driving through red lights and expecting to not get into a crash?
Well there was that one time when I was stopped at the lights with no traffic going across my path and then a fire truck came behind me with its siren and horn blaring and no other way past. Fortunately my car kept working even after I drove out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom