Suunto D5 - rant thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can really only change what is displayed in the lower (blue) line - you have to click through this line to change what is there.
I would like to have NDL instead of dive time displayed on the watch faces as i REALLY don't care if i'm 4 or 40 minutes into my dive, but i'd sure love to know when i have 2 minutes left of my NDL...

Remember (depending on which dive view you're on) you also have the graphic around the edge of the screen, so if you're in the gas screen, the out graphic will show NDL, in NDL then the graphic will show gas contents.

The Suunto Manual doesn't give much info. You can set 4 views NDL, Gas, Compass and Timer - in the bottom window, you can then choose what additional info you'd like. The small right hand data window might also change - I don't' know I don't' have a D5.

I know on my Eon I have 2 configurable data windows which I can scroll though different data - and this changes depending on what view I'm in. It did take a few dives to get it to my liking , as what felt right on the surface behind a computer didn't alway seem the best underwater when using it. We're all different, my wife "demands" her's is set up differently to mine because she has different preferences

When you've had a play, let me know as I'd be interested to hear if you can set it up the way you want

Sorry, then I out of date on Suunto Divecomputers. My experiences years ago led me to quickly sell and try to forget to ever buy anything from Suunto ecer again other than a compass.

Michael
I have to admit they do make probably the best analog compass and gauges.

So after some very busy days I'm back.

I sort of got it to display what i want when i want it but it still could be improved.
I really like the computer as whole and i'm still hoping that Suunto would bring full watch face customization to the D5.

On a side note - Suunto's PR team is worst than Canon's (which i work for :) ) - honestly their only feedback on my question about real customization was to delete my comment (both on instagram and facebook) - great PR guys, really top notch - specifically since i'm an active dive pro that's giving you real user feedback :(

So after some very busy days I'm back.

I sort of got it to display what i want when i want it but it still could be improved.
I really like the computer as whole and i'm still hoping that Suunto would bring full watch face customization to the D5.

On a side note - Suunto's PR team is worst than Canon's (which i work for :) ) - honestly their only feedback on my question about real customization was to delete my comment (both on instagram and facebook) - great PR guys, really top notch - specifically since i'm an active dive pro that's giving you real user feedback :(
And exposing potential new clients to the D5!

Utterly predictable. You have a macro setting for that comment?

As a self confessed SW Perdix fanboy, I'm going to be controversial and say I like the D5 even though I didn't think I would. Firstly, why did I buy a D5 and not a Teric? For the simple fact that I could get the D5 for a third of the price of the Teric and I simply can't justify nearly a grand on a diving watch. Also, for tech I only use my backup in gauge mode, which is a bit of a waste of a Teric.

My rationale for getting it was a) a nice wearable rec holiday dive comp, b) a backup depth and bottom timer for tech diving, c) a high percentage of students this side of the pond have Suuntos and it's useful to see roughly what they're seeing.

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the display clarity above water as it seemed much dimmer than the glossy photos. However, much to my surprise, even at 45m poor low light / poor viz I was able to read the numbers easily. Yes, it's not as bright as the Perdix, but strangely the numbers are actually sharper.

Regarding information, as a simple comp the D5 displays everything I need, no gadgets, no clutter, no fuss.

There are clearly caveats to my comments that will not apply to many divers, but I can only speak as I find.

As a self confessed SW Perdix fanboy, I'm going to be controversial and say I like the D5 even though I didn't think I would. Firstly, why did I buy a D5 and not a Teric? For the simple fact that I could get the D5 for a third of the price of the Teric and I simply can't justify nearly a grand on a diving watch. Also, for tech I only use my backup in gauge mode, which is a bit of a waste of a Teric.

My rationale for getting it was a) a nice wearable rec holiday dive comp, b) a backup depth and bottom timer for tech diving, c) a high percentage of students this side of the pond have Suuntos and it's useful to see roughly what they're seeing.

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the display clarity above water as it seemed much dimmer than the glossy photos. However, much to my surprise, even at 45m poor low light / poor viz I was able to read the numbers easily. Yes, it's not as bright as the Perdix, but strangely the numbers are actually sharper.

Regarding information, as a simple comp the D5 displays everything I need, no gadgets, no clutter, no fuss.

There are clearly caveats to my comments that will not apply to many divers, but I can only speak as I find.
I am thinking of getting the D5 because I have liked being able to look at the graphics of my dive log on my 11 year old D6 ( dive profile, tank psi, temperatures at different depths, etc). I would rather not have to load the dive computer to a phone or computer to have to see more details ( as with HUD dive computer). I want to be able to see it all on the “watch” . Hard to tell from the D5 manual , nor from my questions to Suunto online. What is you experience with the info on the log book of D5 , as seen on the watch face?

I am thinking of getting the D5 because I have liked being able to look at the graphics of my dive log on my 11 year old D6 ( dive profile, tank psi, temperatures at different depths, etc). I would rather not have to load the dive computer to a phone or computer to have to see more details ( as with HUD dive computer). I want to be able to see it all on the “watch” . Hard to tell from the D5 manual , nor from my questions to Suunto online. What is you experience with the info on the log book of D5 , as seen on the watch face?
I haven't paid much attention to it thus far as it's primarily a holiday dive computer, but I'll dig through the log and photo a couple of screens for you. Give me a couple of hours as I've got to walk the dog first and the missus is nagging me to mow the lawn first. G

I haven't paid much attention to it thus far as it's primarily a holiday dive computer, but I'll dig through the log and photo a couple of screens for you. Give me a couple of hours as I've got to walk the dog first and the missus is nagging me to mow the lawn first. G
Here's a random selection of screenshots from the log (various gauge, air, nitrox). Not a huge amount of data, but sufficient for it's purpose. Obviously more available when downloaded to phone / PC

IMG_20220815_102352_247~2.jpg
IMG_20220815_102410_800~2.jpg
IMG_20220815_102427_440~2.jpg
IMG_20220815_102723_483~2.jpg
IMG_20220815_102734_967~2.jpg
IMG_20220815_102857_446~2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom