Suunto D4i or ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto Zoop

Reactions: pin
Thanks guys.

Not really interested in the Zoop as it seems to be a bit too bulky to wear as a wrist watch.

The potential of air integration with the D4i is attractive, but I dont' think I'll be doing that for a while (if at all), which I why I am potentially interested in the Oceanic options. Again not really concerned about algos (previously had the Mosquito so am used to the Suunto algos).

Thanks guys.

Not really interested in the Zoop as it seems to be a bit too bulky to wear as a wrist watch.

The potential of air integration with the D4i is attractive, but I dont' think I'll be doing that for a while (if at all), which I why I am potentially interested in the Oceanic options. Again not really concerned about algos (previously had the Mosquito so am used to the Suunto algos).

Yep, the Zoop, Gekko, Vyper, Vyper air, etc are wrist top computers as opposed to actual watches and would look very silly worn as an everyday watch, unless you were a giant. The new ScubaPro Meridian looks nice.

Yep, the Zoop, Gekko, Vyper, Vyper air, etc are wrist top computers as opposed to actual watches and would look very silly worn as an everyday watch, unless you were a giant. The new ScubaPro Meridian looks nice.

Yep, it does look very nice indeed, however I don't think it will be out when I need it (for easter!)

I think I'm going to choose between the D4i or the Geo 2.0. At present I'm leaning towards the D4i on the basis I may get integrated air in the future, unless I find a very good deal for the Geo 2.0.

Yep, it does look very nice indeed, however I don't think it will be out when I need it (for easter!)

I think I'm going to choose between the D4i or the Geo 2.0. At present I'm leaning towards the D4i on the basis I may get integrated air in the future, unless I find a very good deal for the Geo 2.0.

Given the choice between the two I would also choose the D4i for the exact reason you have given.

Given the choice between the two I would also choose the D4i for the exact reason you have given.

However finding difficulty in getting the D4i shipped to HK at a decent price. No European retailer I have found is willing ship the product out of the EEA due to manufacturer restrictions and at present cannot find a US retailer shipping it at a price that is cheaper than in HK. Basically presently the price in HK for this watch is about US$590 (and no VAT / GST in HK). Cheapest I've found in the US is around US$570 before shipping. In the UK I can get the watch for equivalent of US$460 (and that is with 20% VAT) but can't get it shipped out here!

However I have found a retailer who can ship the Geo 2.0 for about US$350...

Just an update, went to a local dive shop in HK and was told that no servicing for Oceanic in HK, so I guess that may be an issue for me.

Was willing to offer me the D4i for about US$550.

Sounds like a good price, but probably doesn't include the transmitter which would add another $300-400? I think the Oceanics are a less expensive option, but as you mentioned, they are not serviced locally. You would have to ship them out to Singapore (their nearest facility, I think). That's why I originally bought the Atom 3.0 for my wife - user replaceable batteries: so aside from a rare technical malfunction, I shouldn't have to bring it/send it in at all, whereas the HK dive shop I went to seemed to charge quite a bit to replace the Suunto batteries.

However finding difficulty in getting the D4i shipped to HK at a decent price. No European retailer I have found is willing ship the product out of the EEA due to manufacturer restrictions and at present cannot find a US retailer shipping it at a price that is cheaper than in HK. Basically presently the price in HK for this watch is about US$590 (and no VAT / GST in HK). Cheapest I've found in the US is around US$570 before shipping. In the UK I can get the watch for equivalent of US$460 (and that is with 20% VAT) but can't get it shipped out here!

However I have found a retailer who can ship the Geo 2.0 for about US$350...

Yep, I've encountered this problem before also. I live in both NZ and Japan where dive gear is rather expensive. I often buy from scubastore.com, they used to ship Suunto to NZ, the sopped a few years ago. They used to ship to Japan up until I made an order last September when they stopped. Fortunately I have an uncle in the UK so ordered and had it shipped to him and he then forwarding to me. I don't suppose you know any one in the UK who can do this for you? $550USD doesn't sound "too" bad.

Just another update, calling various dive shops around, managed to find one who will sell the watch for US$480 cash or EPS. Dive shop is Froggy Divers in TST. Will probably go there and pick it up tomorrow. Not worried about transmitter just yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom