Suunto D4i or ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys

My Suunto Mosquito has finally packed up (suffering what seems to be the common problem of the depth gauge malfunctioning).

I'm therefore looking for a new dive computer. I only get to dive a few times a year now (about 10 dives a year is as much as I'm getting) and its generally recreational diving, mainly with air and occasionally with Nitrox.

While I would like to get a dive computer with all the bells and whistles, I just cannot justify the cost based on my diving profile. I do like having a writst watch style computer, rather than the bigger displays (that way I can just wear it as a watch when I'm travelling). Having had a look around the interwebs and the fact that I'm familiar with Suunto it seems like the D4i is the best bet for me feature and price wise. I am, however open to other suggestions for a dive computer. Any thoughts?

I know I can get good deals via ebay (that is how I bought my Mosquito). Only problem is that living in HK, shipping from the USA or UK to HK can bump up the price to a point where ebay isn't such a good deal.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I'm also looking for a dive computer and I've read TON of reviews and opinions that people have posted on this site. If I were you, I'd narrow your choices down to say 2 or 3 that you really like, then use the search feature on this message board with regards to that particular comp, just to find out if there was anything left out by the reviewers or problems they experienced. On the bright side you may find other things about that comp that you like. Have fun, and I hope you get as many dives as you want this year especially once you have your new toy :)

Reactions: pin
I dove the D4i while on a cruise in Roatan and Belize. I rented it in the dive shop on the boat. I enjoyed a lot and thought it worked great. The graphic dive log is superior to any other computer I have seen. I ended up just keeping it on as a watch when I was not diving and it was a nice size for that also.

Downside is that, as with any, watch style computer, the display is very small and I had trouble seeing it underwater, some of this would be due my inexperience using it and not knowing exactly what number is located where.

I am in the market for a computer and originally though about the D4i, but am now leaning toward the Oceanic Veo 2.0 wrist mounted.

Thanks guys.

I've been looking around the sites, wow there is a lot of choice out there! In HK, we pretty much only have Suunto for my price range.

I've also noticed the Oceanic Geo 2.0 and the Veo, they both look very interesting, will look into them as well.

One of the things that bump the cost up of the Suunto dive watches (d4, d6, d9) is that they all have the electronics for a wireless transmitter. If you have been using the Stinger then you have a hose mounted SPG and are used to it. So with the D4 you are going to be paying for an option you are not using. If you want something with a larger display but not wireless a puck computer like the Zoop would do you fine. Much less cost, larger display, but similar features. Also you can put the Zoop in DeepSeaSupply bungie mount which makes it much easy to don.

I've been looking into dive computers in HK as well, and the local dive shops can be quite overpriced. I too want a wrist-mounted computer that can double as a vacation watch, and being into watches (as you might guess from my username) I wanted something that looked good. That, plus air integration narrowed down my choices to Atom 3.0, Oceanic OC1 (limited edition), and the Suunto D4/6/9. I decided against the Suunto because of the conservative algo (as someone mentioned, I don't want to be the only one on the boat in deco all the time). The Oceanics can be made more conservative so they should be ok. My wife has an Atom 3.0 and it was a bit too plastic-looking for me, so I chose the OC-1 which should be arriving in a few days. As far as price, the OC-1 can be shipped to HK for as little as $1005 USD total (for previous scuba.com customers) which I don't think is much different than the D4 + wireless transmitter?

I've owned a Mosquito (died) a Gekko (lost it) and now a Vyper, I like the Vyper as its very simple to use, user replaceable batteries, cheap, reliable, has gauge mode, DSS make a bungee mount for it and possibly most importantly with my aging eyes its much easier to see than watch sized comps. Now if only they'd come out with an affordable OLED version.

I've had the D4i (and wireless transmitter), since the first day it came out in June 2011. It's great, and I've yet to find it "too conservative". FWIW, I'm usually first in, and last out. Besides that, I've had Zero Issues with it (over 200 dives), it travels nicely, cuts down on a bulky reg set-up, downloadable dives, (MacDive), you can wear as a watch, lot's of features including a Dive Planner. Not saying it's the best or only option out there. Simply works for me.

haven't used the D4i but the Geo 2.0 is good to go...as is the Veo 3.0.

G'day, Pin!

I found for you Suunto D4i in European shop, maybe it will be cheaper for you a bit than ship it from US. Here is the link: www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/Instruments-computers-Computers/24/s#ajax.c

Prices are in Euro. Check this out.

And Suunto D4i is an air-integrated dive computer, and Oceanics Veo 2 and Geo 2 are not. So it is another thing to think over.
For more information you may visit this website: www.dive-computer-wizard.com to get reviews on dive computers that will give you different perspective on this matter

Good luck, mate with your quest!

Hi guys

My Suunto Mosquito has finally packed up (suffering what seems to be the common problem of the depth gauge malfunctioning).

I'm therefore looking for a new dive computer. I only get to dive a few times a year now (about 10 dives a year is as much as I'm getting) and its generally recreational diving, mainly with air and occasionally with Nitrox.

While I would like to get a dive computer with all the bells and whistles, I just cannot justify the cost based on my diving profile. I do like having a writst watch style computer, rather than the bigger displays (that way I can just wear it as a watch when I'm travelling). Having had a look around the interwebs and the fact that I'm familiar with Suunto it seems like the D4i is the best bet for me feature and price wise. I am, however open to other suggestions for a dive computer. Any thoughts?

I know I can get good deals via ebay (that is how I bought my Mosquito). Only problem is that living in HK, shipping from the USA or UK to HK can bump up the price to a point where ebay isn't such a good deal.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom