Suunto D4i Battery Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
What is the expected battery life of a D4i.? I bought mine new in November of 2103. During a liveaboard trip earlier this month it started showing the Low Battery indicator.

So, after less than two years and about 120 dives I already have to fork out a significant amount of cash (2600 baht or about US$75) for battery replacement.

Is that to be expected?

(I know. I could have replaced the battery myself. However, keep in mind that my wife calls me Mr. Clumsy for good reason.)

This was taken right from the Suunto User Manual

Battery storage time (shelf life): Up to three years
Replacement: Every three years, or more often depending on dive activity
Life expectancy at 20°C/68°F:• 0 dives/year –> 3 years• 100 dives/year –>2 years• 300 dives/year –>1.5 years

Thank you. I thought I did a thorough search but never saw that. So, for me, I did worse than expected. Only 60 dives per year and I got less than two years.

So, I had Dive Supply replace the battery in October of 2015 for about 2600 baht (US$75). Fourteen months and 40 dives later, the battery is dead again.

That means it costs almost two US dollars per dive for the battery. That seems excessive.

Last edited:
Check the battery brand they installed in your D4. There are plenty of CR2450 Chinese batteries around that are very low quality (Eve is one of those brands I recollect and always stay away from). Demand swiss (Renata), German (Varta) or Japanese (Sony or Panasonic) batteries next time you send your D4 for service. Never had a client complaining about short battery life using those brands I mentioned.

Check the battery brand they installed in your D4. There are plenty of CR2450 Chinese batteries around that are very low quality (Eve is one of those brands I recollect and always stay away from).

You're right. It was an Eve battery. But this was done by Dive Supply which, according to the Suunto website, is the only authorized Suunto dive computer service center in Thailand.

It seems odd that such a huge company would knowingly risk their reputation by installing an inferior battery; especially when the cost of the battery is small compared to what they charge to replace it.

Incidentally, the battery that was replaced still measures 3.3 volts which makes me wonder why it needed replacing in the first place.

Buadhai: FYI we charge US$ 50 for the same service in Fort Lauderdale and that includes: a)new high-quality battery; b) new Oring and c) waterproofing you dive computer to 165 feet (test dive will appear as your last dive when you get your dive computer back).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom