Suunto D4i Ascent rate bar graph - exactly how do I read it? CESA...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Annana

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good evening everyone, I'm having an issue with my D4i that has been bugging me for a while, maybe you have some thoughts/info?
Especially when doing CESAs with students I obviously monitor the ascent rate, max being 18 m/min, preferably slower, never faster than your bubbles. The D4i is set to 10 m/min, though, so doing fast movements (like raising your hand in the water sometimes...) it beeps a fast ascent warning at me. The graphical display is a bar that is divided into 5 parts and I haven't figured out how exactly I'm supposed to read it. Is the total absence of the bar an ascent rate of 10 m and a full bar 200 % of that? Is the middle of bar, so 50 % showing, the 10 m mark and the full bar 200 %? Where would 18 m/ min be then, is it close to the max? At what ascent rate does the audible alarm kick in? (Well, obviously, once it beeps I slow down and try to be as slow as possible in any case, I just hate not being able to read it.)
Thank you for ideas!

If the D4i's graph software is like the Oceanic variable ascent graphs, then if you are beneath 18m, the full bar will be 18m/s; whereas if you are shallower than 18m, the full ascent graph will be 9m/s. Well that's my understanding, when I asked at the technician's course.

Ok, so here's what I have figured out (my understanding of the d4i ascent bar): If the bar displays 50 % = you see half the bar, you are ascending at a speed of 10m/min = the preset speed. If the bar is full, you have reached 200 % percent of 10m/min, being 20m/min, this is when your computer goes crazy beeping :wink: This would mean that if you do CESAs without your computer beeping, you have a good chance of staying within 18m/min ascent rate. Any Suunto reps out there who can comfirm?!

My d6i isn't at the "half graph" mark. There's a line that clearly indicates when you are exceeding the graphically displayed ascent rate. If you are getting alarms from rising your hands... Lower your sample rate... Sounds like you are sampling every second or two. 10 seconds between data samples should be sufficient and should stop the annoying alarms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom