SUUNTO Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AviZ

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
just wondering if there is anyone out there with a Suunto Cobra with a compass,
i just want a bit of infomation on what sort of things it does, how it performs and what sort of price i will be looking to pay if i was to buy one ?!?!?!
Thanks

I love mine, and it works great!

I have a Cobra, and it works very well.

The cobra is a air/nitrox/gauge computer with air integration. That means that in addition to calulating NDLs and ascent rates it also tracks your air usage and projects the amount of air time you have left.

It does do decompression calculations up to 99 munites of deco time. That is plenty for most folks if you want to go into simple (single gas) extended range diving. It does have a gauge mode for use with gas-switch deco and trimix diving as well. BTW, if you do miss a stop is locks you out, so be aware.

The SK7 is the compass that matches that computer. There are two versions. One that sits on top of the cobra and one that attaches to the back. They are known generally as the long package and the short package respectively.

There is also a HP quick-disconnect available for the Cobra. That is probably the QD you mentioned.

Personally I have the cobra with SK7 in the long package with the quick disconnect and like it a lot. I would also recommend getting a replacement guard to put in your kit. If the guard gets scratched it is easily replaced, but it really hurts the legibility of the computer until you do.

Any other questions?

--
Jeremy

Yes, I have one!

Is the "beep" louder than that of the Vyper or Mosquito? Even though I will be checking the gauges regularly, it would be nice to be able to hear an alert if I miss something.

I have a hard time hearing high pitch noises unless they are kind of loud. For example, in order to hear my Mosquito is has to be about 12 inches from my ears.

Originally posted by Murdock325
Is the "beep" louder than that of the Vyper or Mosquito?

I have used the Vyper and it is no better than the Cobra. I would agree that the alarms are not very loud on either. :(

--
Jeremy

I originally got the Suunto Cobra with the SK7 compass and added the Quick Disconnect later on. Love that computer.

I do wish the alarm was a little louder than it is. I have no problem hearing the alarm while diving without a hood but since most of my dives are in the cool waters of California, I have no choice to but wear a hood. But even then, I still would not change it.

The Cobra is the most feature rich computer on the market today. It does it all (except for tech diving) air, nitrox, gauge mode for extended range.

Don't dive it as a computer for technical diving because it is almost the exact same as diving DCIEM tables. You pay too much time on the deco stops.

More than double of what my NiTek 3 does!

I don't like quick disconnets because they are usually leaking when I see people with them

I see them in Canada for $649 which is about $399 US. Thats what my local dive shop sells them for.

You'll enjoy the unit it is very user friendly and is nice and compact. Its cheaper and better than anyone else's computers too!

Good luck!

:p

I plan to purchase this model computer myself. Sicne I have the spare High Pressure hole on my first stage Im going toleave in my analog instruments as well so I'll have checks and balances.

The number one reason I havent purchased it yet is the cost. My LDS sells it for $670 us dollars and informs me that the factory / manufacturer is REQUIRING them to RAISE the price to $700 even. I've looked at it in some of the other shops local to me and all of them sell it in the $650 usd range. So, your price there in Canada is very good!

I plan on buying mine from Diveinnn.com since I can't afford it from and LDS. Diveinn.com is selling it for. $409 USD without Compass. $445 w/ compass. And since there is no sales tax this pretty much comes darn close to %50 off on price. PLUS since Suunto isnt exclusively a diving mangufacturer if you call them before purchasing online they will often extend you their normal warrenty no matter where you buy it.

Computingly,

ST

hey :wink:
is there anyone from the uk that knows where i can get the cobra for a cheap price ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom