Suunto Cobra stuck in dive mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All Suunto computers require an aerodynamic test. This is done by unscrewing the hose from your first stage so you have the console and hose separate from everything else. Next you need to locate a large body of water because there will most likely be a nice breeze. Next step is very important. Grasp the end of the hose and whirl it around as fast as you can and with your timing just right, let it go and watch it fly out into the water never to be seen again. Then buy an other than Suunto computer and dive happily ever after....This bitter flavor recipe stems from a $hit sandwich I recently ate from Suunto on a cobra as well.

If it's is Suunto, I would suggest you send a letter to the CEO explaining why you will be buying an Oceanic instead of a new Suunto

Sounds kinda amusing now?

Our family owned 10 cobras across all of us. 4 have had depth sensor failures. 1 was replaced under warranty (aqualung days) The rest they want 300 each to send back another cobra but are unclear if it’s new or refurb and what the warranty would be. I’m compiling receipts for all of them along with a letter of disdain for their product and lack of customer service since the aqualung split. I priced out hoseless wrist systems and ended up with a shearwater perdix AI. while the algorithm tends to be more conservative I’ve adjusted the setting to low and it’s conparable to what my NDL times were on my cobra in a much better package and will have full cabability for expanding my diving into the tech realm.

Not surprisingly, this thread is still active and alive- 12 years since OP and is still relevant!

Anyway, besides the settlement that may put an end to lots of Suunto user's misery Home | Suunto Dive Computer Settlement

For those who are not included in above and still face the original problem (Suunto computer stays "active" for prolonged periods), what I have found that sometimes helps is gently wiping dry the PC connection pins with a piece of tissue paper or cotton swab- after these pins are wiped, it takes a few minutes but the darn thing eventually ends the dive mode and/or gets to sleep.. until the next time.

Oh, and next time I buy a diving computer, most certainly not going to be from a manufacturer that ignores user's problem for more than a decade, blames them on "user error" bla bla bla- they should have made a recall years ago, as the depth sensor problem is a worldwide plague on Suuntos... But, at least in the US there is some legal settlement, yay..

It just happened to mine. I always take care of it, and clean it well after every dive. My last dive was just 4 weeks ago. Today I attached it to a new tank I bought, just to check the pressure and such. As soon as I turned it on, it started beeping and going crazy, saying that I was at 400+ feet. It's been over 3 hours now, and it still thinks I'm diving. I'm just glad it didn't happen on the dive boat when I go diving next weekend!

not trying to bet a dead horse. but i just got my class action settlement check a whopping $72.50. my father in law had his longer and ended up with $69.20

Back
Top Bottom