Suunto Cobra Depth Sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That does suck - makes me wonder - I have a Suunto Vyper myself - and "so far" haven't had any problems (its a 2004 version) and I've done about 60 dives on it so far. I rinse the computer in RO/purified water after use (we have bad water in AZ, and I feel like its just good to do for the regs / cameras / computers.)

I just bought a Aeris VT3 for my wife - and of course - I've read of problems with those also.... go figure, so, which ever way you go it seems no-one's perfect.

Oh well, hopefully we won't have any major problems!

I took mine to a Suunto dealer and they sent it in. It's about five years old, so no warranty. I haven't heard anything yet, but the dealer said it's not likely they'll fix it, just give me a discount for a new one. Bet that'll be huge...

The Same Thing Happened To Me I Guess We All Fell For The Oakie Doke. Bought It Online Thought It Was In Good Shape When It Arrived Nov 2007. Went To Ft Lauderdale On A Wreck Dive And All I Got Was Air Pressure, Tried Exact Same Things As Everyone Else.

Question Will That Charge Back Work 7 Months Later !!!!!

Hmm good to know. I just bought a Suunto Vyper from e-bay. I will be able to test it in the pool soon though. I hope I don't end up with a dead unit. I didn't know Suunto was a brand to stay away from... actually read some good things on here about that computer before I purchased it.

Also bought a VT3 which the seller says is in perfect condition. Hope so, I need these things to work on my trip to Bonaire next month!

I wouldn't say that Suunto is a brand to stay away from. Anything electronic may break over time. I would love to know how many Suunto dive computers are sold a year as I think that they are probably the lead manufacture.

That makes me feel a little better. Guy at work has a Suunto that's 8 years old and still works like a champ. *shrug*

Hope so, I need these things to work on my trip to Bonaire next month!

Delta-
Hope they work for you. I'm not afraid to buy Suunto again, just leery about buying on eBay again. I bought BC & Regs on eBay and am very happy. And I think the Cobra seller really didn't have problems with this before he sold it. It simply quit shortly after I bought it.

If you get to Bonaire and your computers don't work, don't sweat it. I found I really didn't need a computer there. I loved the profile. We set our depth limit at 100', and there's really no reason to go deeper around Bonaire. The Hilma Hooker wreck sits on a 100' bottom, and other than that, there's nothing deeper that you can't find at 80'. We would usually cruise the reef at 60' - 100' until half tank, then cruise back at 30' - 60' until 600-800 lb. There were always patches of reef at 12' - 15', and we'd fool around there 15-20 minutes until OOA. We'd have full deco by the time we made shore. Hop in the truck and go grab a bite to eat & fresh tanks and be back in the water with a couple of hours surface interval. It was a safe enough profile I never missed the computer. I can't wait to go back.

I'm having a somewhat similar issue. I purchase a Cobra within the 5 year extended warranty from a authorized shop. My depth sensor also went out and I'm in the process of getting it replaced. However, the shop I purchased it from didn't register my computer's serial number and there is no record through Aqualung that my computer was registered at an authorized dealer. So now the issue becomes that I didn't buy it through an authorized dealer therefore my computer isn't under warranty. The problem gets bigger. I have a reciept but it isn't itemized and only says the date of purchase, the shop's name, and my total. It doesn't say exactly word for word that i bought the computer from them. Here comes the best part: I try to get a hold of the dive shop to see if they have records or can help. Well the shop has gone out of business and the phone numbers i have for the shop and the owner are all disconnected. The website is down also. Soooo now I have no records. Am I SOL or WHAT?! If any one can help I would appreciate it.

Some people have had success soaking Suuntos in warm water overnight, under the assumption that salt crystals formed around the sensor. You might try that.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom