Suunto Cobra Conservatism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive most weekends from April to November (plus trips throughout the year) and I'm starting to get very annoyed with my Cobra's conservatism. I'm 52, in great shape, don't smoke, rarely drink, etc, etc and so have my Cobra set to the most liberal setting. Nonetheless, I find I'm constantly pushing the envelope, often entering into mild deco just to keep up with my fellow divers.
A few weeks ago, my quick release blew an o-ring and I rented one of those little wrist-mount Oceanics. Good God! It allowed me gobs more no-deco time!~~Then this past weekend I compared readings with my dive bud who was also wearing an Oceanic. After a 25-minute, 110 foot wreck dive and a 45-minute S.I., my computer's plan mode allowed 45 minutes at 40 feet while hers read and hour and a half!
Is my Cobra dying? Can the software be altered by the manufacturer? I love the computer for its versatility, compactness and comfort (-plus, of course, it's air-integrated). But it may be time for a change. Whaddya think?

Thanks,

I'm 55, out of shape and overweight, that's why I picked the cobra. It provides a nice deco buffer.

If you put it on level 2 conservatism it starts beeping after 10 minutes in the shower.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom