Suunto Cobra and QR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divernva

Reaction score
Okay so I bought a QR for my Cobra on the Internet. The lds in the area were out of stock and didn't normally carry the item. I'm not in the mood to get chewed out when I take it into the shop...

So I just wanted to verify that I put the connector near the computer (beneath the console housing) and not the 1st stage. It seems like the most convenient and logic place to put it. Besides it fits perfectly.

Are there any precautions I should take before finalizing the connections? Lubricatation? BTW - I didn't use the loose pin with the two o-rings that came with the QR since there was already one in the swivel. Is this the correct configuration? And what's the best way to check everything out after it's assembled? Put it on a charged tank, drop it in the pool and watch for leaks?

Thanks in advance... and feel free to chew me out... I can take it better in black and white.

Hey Divernva,

I think the subject line says it all... hope your not too miffed if I don't chew you out for something I know nothing about (grin). I do own a Cobra, and would love to get the QR. BTW, is nva=North Virginia? Did they lose West Virginia or is this something that I missed?

Divernva,

The QR can actually go between the hose and the first stage or the hose and the console.

When I bought it, I had the shop install it but they had trouble connecting it to the console so they hooked it up to the first stage which I didn't care for too much, so that was changed as soon as I got home and now is connected to the console. I did forget an o-ring when I first installed it and got a loud hissing sound when I put it to the tank.

As for testing it, I did exactly what you said, I connected it to the tank and put it underwater to check for leaks. No problems so far after 30+ dives with it.

I picked the QR up at Leisure Pro for $69. Just a little better than my LDS.

I put an O-ring at the console connection, but don't have one at the swivel connection. Is this correct? I think it's at the base of the big brass fitting on the computer. Had to dig around my O-ring reserve to find a proper fit, since the one it came with didn't fit. I'll have to get a tank and drop it in the pool before the next dive.

LOL! No, Northern Virginia hasn't displaced West Virginia... yet! But it's getting to be a pretty big distinction these days. The "nva" in my screenname was originally for simply "in VA".

Hey Divernva...

I bought a generic disconnect from my LDS for $29.95. I have not tried to see if it will install at the guage or the hose. That will be this weekend.

I would like to find somewhere to get a interface other then my lds. The prices seem realy inflated, there is not much to it, and the software is downloadable.
Mike

Mlove, I've been doing some research about PC interfacs for the Cobra. My LDS is asking $170.

DiveINN has the PC interface for ~$100 with shipping. I think Leisure Pro is $130.

If you're handy with electronics and know how to etch PCBs, try this do it yourself site for the Cobra:

http://www.clivebeale.com/

I think the materials cost comes out to less than $20. The software is available from Suunoto's site.

Divernva,
I just ordered the interface from diverinn for $69 plus tax.
Good price, thanks for the lead. I have never used diverinn before. Any feed back?
Mike

woops
My mistake, the price was $89.$99 with tax. Still a good price.
Mike

Hey folks, just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback.

I hit the pool over the weekend to check the QR connection, and all went well. Had a small trail of bubbles at the beginning, but it subsided after a few minutes. Don't know if this is normal, but I'll check it out again on a dive this weekend.

Can't wait to get the PC interface to see my sawtooth profile!

Back
Top Bottom