Suunto Cobra 3 "PSI Off" error message

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rshart

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Late last week, prior to the last dive, I connected my regulator with a Cobra 3 to the tank and checked the tank pressure. Everything looked fine. After entering the water and descending about 30 feet, I checked my Cobra and while all other read outs looked correct, instead if showing the tank pressure, the display read "PSI Off". I was unable to change this despite trying to reset it at that time. Upon returning to the surface and connecting the regulator and Cobra 3 to an new tank, the pressure reading there at the surface was correct. We did not dive with the Cobra again of course. There appears to be nothing in the Cobra manual about such an error. Has anyone else experienced this and know how to interpret or fix this malfunction?

rshart,

I have not had this issue brought to my attention before. If you say that the air pressure was on and working properly at the surface, then that would rule out any of my theories of how that occurred. Have you tried diving with the computer since that day? If you are worried that there may be a malfunction, then it would be best to send your computer to one of the authorized Suunto service centers. You can follow the link to locate the nearest authorized service center. Suunto Dealer Locator
I will ask some colleagues if they have heard of this happening before. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Chris,
Thanks. The Cobra was not used for further diving. While was the final dive of the trip when the error occurred so no further dives but then again, I don't think it would trust it until I know more. Let me know if you hear anything more.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 03:01 PM ----------

Chris,
Thanks. The Cobra was not used for further diving. While was the final dive of the trip when the error occurred so no further dives but then again, I don't think it would trust it until I know more. Let me know if you hear anything more.

Chris: Follow-up clarification: I first tested the tank - PSI was fine / full tank. Next I removed the regulator for transport and re-attached before jumping in and let the computer turn-on when it hit the water. At about 20-30 ft I noticed that the PSI field was showing "OFF" - I"m not aware of any way to turn-off the PSI function - how would "OFF" ever display in the PSI field? Following the dive and a few hrs later, I attached the regulator to another tank, turned-on the computer and PSI read correctly. Any insights?

I have just returned from a week of diving and had this same error. About mid week I entered the water went down the anchor line and found this message. I aborted the dive and returned to the boat. After the computer went to surface mode I shut down the air supply, drained the pressure from the regulator. I reassembled everything, powered up the computer and the correct pressure was displayed again. I continued the week with no further failures, and a back up SPG and Zoop computer, but have great concern for this random error. Any ideas?? I really don't want to depend on an SPG and back up computer.

Hi,
this message is not supposed to be shown on Cobra/Cobra2/Cobra3. I've heard of one case like this before but the cause remained unclear. I understand your concern and suggest having it checked by one of our service centers. I'll go through a few scenarios to see what could possibly trigger this... Pls let me know if you happen to remember what you may have done differently when this happened.

br, Hendrik

Hello- I know this thread is from a couple years ago, but wondering if you ever had any resolve? I experienced the same exact thing today on my Cobra 3. Just out of curiosity, were you diving Nitrox when you saw this issue? The reason I ask- I was and realized that I never entered my O2 for the second tank (because it was the same as my first). I was wondering if this could cause the error. Thanks in advance for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom