Suunto Ascent Alarm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fotta

Reaction score
I've been following the threads re: dive computers with great interest. It seems that a big 'negative' to the Mosquito and the Vyper is that they don't seem to have an ascent buffer. i.e. if you raise your arm, the ascent alarm goes off. I would like to know if this is in fact a problem for those of you who are using these computers, or is it something that happens so infrequently that it is not really an issue....?

I dive with both a Cobra and a Vyper. With the Vyper on a wrist slate and I have never noticed the accent alarm going off if I raise my arm.

I dive with a Stinger (which I love dearly) and have never experienced the alarm going off when I raise my arm. In fact, in the course of taking photographs, I am certain that I go up a foot or two regularly at a rate faster than 30'/min and the alarm does not sound.

It would be interesting to hear whether others have experienced what you have. Have you discussed this with a mfg. rep?

Scorpionfish

but it WILL flag the ascent as "unsafe" in the dive profile. This can lead it to display the dreaded "microbubble alert" symbol and request that you extend your SI.

I HAVE had the Vyper do this to me on a dive when I did a breath-control-only ascent of about 5' (starting from about 90') to avoid a sleeping shark that was under a ledge I was exploring.

While I never HEARD it beep, the computer DID flag the profile (I saw the flag later in the Dive manager software) and DID post the "diver attention" symbol when we got back to the surface. It also posted a MANDATORY safety stop (as opposed to advisory), which cleared immediately when we got back to 15' (I may have "served my time" during my normal ascent at the end of the dive - I don't know.)

Its only happened to me a couple of times and I categorize it as a minor annoyance in what has, overall, been a superb computer in my experience.

I have the Vyper and have never pissed off the ascent meter by just picking up my gauge. (I dive with the computer in a console with my SPG). My feeling is that there is a 2 or 3 foot buffer where the computer doesn't care how fast you move it... just my suspicion.

I will check the manual later today and see if Suunto gives specifics on their algorithm.

I have both a Cobra and a wrist mounted Viper I dive with and I've never violated the ascent rate by just raising an arm.

Given the notoriously slow sample time on the guages, it may be that moving your arm simply doesn't happen far enough in the sample period for it to trigger. After all in most cases you are only going up a foot or two, I suspect the warnings use a couple of sample periods to weed out false alarms.

This is probably the achilies heal of dive computers, they are slaves to their sample times. Even at 10 second sample intervals its annoying.

I have a Vyper, I tried to get it to do the above mentioned on the weekend, I also compared it to an old Aladin Pro, Aladin did it, Suunto didnt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom