Suunto as backup for Oceanic computer ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech3324

Lionfish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I want a backup computer for a 5 day live-aboard trip, and was considering the Suunto Mosquito as backup to my Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus (diving air). I dive the Oceanic so that I always surface in the "green" zone, although sometimes at the high end of green. I have allowed it switch into "deco" mode on occasion, although a slow ascent relieves any deco obligation and I surface in the green.

I planned to clip the Mosquito on a D-ring and just forget about it unless the Oceanic failed during my trip. But now I'm wondering if the Suunto algorithm is so conservative that I might unknowingly violate it while diving the Oceanic, and find I no longer have a working backup. Would I be better off to use another Oceanic computer (Versa?) for backup? What do you think about the Mosquito for this purpose?

Don

What about using a set of tables as a backup.
Scribble your plan onto a slate/notebook, and use the mosquito in gauge mode. If your Oceanic fails, just dive to the plan using the depth/time readings from the suunto.
You cannot violate the suunto's in gauge mode.

Dave

If you are doing more than 2 dives in a day, the tables as a backup is not an option.

I dive with an Aeris, which is the same as Oceanic, and a buddy of mine dives with a Suunto. I can tell you, the Suunto is far more conservative than my Aeris. Conservative to the point that I personally don't believe there is much benefit with them over the tables.

I think computers with that safe of an algorithim go past the law of diminishing returns. It is SO conservative, I have found that people tend to take what it says very lightly

I'm planning to do 4-5 dives per day for 5 days, and I want to maximize my bottom time, so I'd really prefer another computer for backup.

Don

I am almost completely ignorant but in reading I have discovered that your Oceanic uses a much more liberal formula than the Suunto so you may find your backup in disagreement with your primary on a regular basis.

I would consider doing it the other way around. The Suunto is known to be more conservative than the Oceanic so use the Suunto (the extra bit of margin built in is good if you're diving a lot in a short time) and make the Oceanic the backup.

Another reason you might want to use the Oceanic as a backup is Deco. If you push the limits the Suunto may go into deco which you'll need to clear before you surface. If you don't it might lock out for 24 hours and it's intended purpose as a backup will be lost.

R..

I have both the Oceanic and the Suunto. I do not recommend diving the Oceanic with the Suunto as backup for the reasons you suspect... if you come anywhere near the limits on the Oceanic you'll violate the Suunto.
Doing it the other way 'round is just fine, as diving the Suunto will always keep the Oceanic in the green - the Oceanic will always be able to provide backup info to the Suunto, but the Suunto will not always be able to provide backup to the Oceanic.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom