Suspension of activities at all islands off Sabah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The situation has been back to normal for a while now. Malaysia had an election recently and there hasn't been a cheap about Lahad Datu for several weeks. These incidents don't do much to help tourism especially with the ultra-cautious approach of governments when issuing travel warnings. They always err way on the side of caution and leave the warnings in place for far too long usually.

Even when it was going on the chances of tourists finding themselves anywhere near the action was v slim.

The only thing happening in and and around Sipadan is that there are lots of divers having an awesome time.

I just finished a trip to the Sipadan area. After spending a few days in Kota Kinabalu, sailing to Sandakan and spending the day there, sailing and diving all the way down to Sipadan including a few days at Kapalai / Mabul, we are now hanging out near the main jetty in Tawau. I haven't been shot at once! Actually, I haven't seen a soldier, policeman, pirate or terrorist so it's been booring. The diving was more exciting though with massive schools of jacks, barracudas and bumpheads, mating sharks, a manta, giant frog fishes, flamboyant cuttlefish, Pygmy sea horses, baby leaf scorpionfish, too many turtles and sharks to count, orangutan crabs, nudibranchs and pipefishes of every ethnicity, crocodile fish, etc. etc. on a sadder note, there are mantas and sharks in the local fish market. There was also bombing that could be heard from Sipadan.

Uh, if you heard a bombing all the way in Sipadan then it's probably not yet really time to remove advisories, is it?

Errrr.... I meant fish bombing. The only danger to anyone (anything) is to the fish around nearby islands.

Oh that's horrible too!! :(

Errrr.... I meant fish bombing. The only danger to anyone (anything) is to the fish around nearby islands.

Not to mention the cyanide poisioning which is also going on silently...
Cyanide fishing killing corals
Hopefully someone other than "Unicef spokesmodels" will eventually implement some actual enforcement measures?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom