Survey Results: Student Preparedness & Satisfaction Following Pool/Confined Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. But HOW do we "show" students that they will be less satisfied in the long run by taking the "quickest route", while they are still in training? What does this conversation sound like?

As others have mentioned, this is a "Catch-22" of scuba training ... a student won't realize until much later on (if ever) whether they were trained well or inadequately.

This is my dilemma as I explain to students why my Open Water class will take 30+ combined hours of classroom, pool and ocean time. At this point in their training, very few students know what type of instruction they want ... they just want to get a C-card.

I do my best to explain, but I know they won't really "get it" until later.

I'd be using the data to show students why you've structured your course the way you have...

"An analysis of nearly 700 dive students has shown that those students who take courses that provides more time to master the skills and practice in the water tend to be better prepared and more satisfied with the experience. My course design follows best demonstrated practices... in order to help you become a knowledgeable, competent, and confident diver. If I delivered anything less than that I'd be doing you a disservice. "

If they don't buy that... they're not your student anyway.

Slide18.PNG

Slide19.PNG

To me, the real potential value of this research is in showing it to shop owners and managers.

I firmly believe that if students are more satisfied with their experiences, if they have a better time during their intiial dive experiences, they are more likely to become long term divers who continue to patronize the business that got them started. They are more likely to purchase equipment, take trips,....

Reactions: RJP
To me, the real potential value of this research is in showing it to shop owners and managers.

I firmly believe that if students are more satisfied with their experiences, if they have a better time during their intiial dive experiences, they are more likely to become long term divers who continue to patronize the business that got them started. They are more likely to purchase equipment, take trips,....

Couldn't agree more. This is why I Intended from the beginning to make the full results public rather than keeping them to myself and/or otherwise leveraging them commercially.

Results been tweeted/retweeted/favorited/FB'd/liked/shared/emailed/forwarded thousands of times and it's available on my website for anyone who's interested. Far and away the highest traffic of anything I've put up. Two agencies helped distribute the survey, and have since received the results. I've proactively sent the results to another. Be interesting to see what happens with them.

Any publication that wants to cite the results is welcome to do so... with proper attribution, of course.

Interestingly I had several shops send the survey out to their students. Remarkable range of survey responses... and of responses to the survey. One shop had a ~10% "Extremely Prepared" and even lower "Satisfaction." Meanwhile, another shop was over 70% on both measures. The first shop owner immediately came up with a half-dozen reasons why the survey was flawed. The second shop owner immediately came up with a half-dozen ways to improve his OW course in hopes of driving his number from 70% to 90%. Sort of tells you a little bit about the differences between the two shop owners...

"An analysis of nearly 700 dive students has shown that those students who take courses that provides more time to master the skills and practice in the water tend to be better prepared and more satisfied with the experience. My course design follows best demonstrated practices... in order to help you become a knowledgeable, competent, and confident diver. If I delivered anything less than that I'd be doing you a disservice. "

Yes. This conversation used to be a pretty subjective one, and now you've given us some real statistics to back it up. So many thanks.

I don't have a ton of optimism that the scuba industry at large will shift anytime soon, but I hope your survey helps those of us who do want to make change in our own small ways get more traction.

Reactions: RJP
Yes. But HOW do we "show" students that they will be less satisfied in the long run by taking the "quickest route", while they are still in training? What does this conversation sound like?

As others have mentioned, this is a "Catch-22" of scuba training ... a student won't realize until much later on (if ever) whether they were trained well or inadequately.

This is my dilemma as I explain to students why my Open Water class will take 30+ combined hours of classroom, pool and ocean time. At this point in their training, very few students know what type of instruction they want ... they just want to get a C-card.

I do my best to explain, but I know they won't really "get it" until later.

You have described the original rationale for paring down the original PADI OW course into a course whose water work can be completed in a weekend (in an ideal "no transportation time and no thermal issues" area).

This pared down course is in fact what almost all the agencies have realigned their beginner level courses to be, recogniznig that the vast improvement in equipment, and the use of educational theories in developing the educational materials could be used to improve (and dramatically shorten) the course. And this could get more people into the sport, even while dramatically increasing the safety of the sport. Which is what happened. These "less capable" divers taking a vastly shorter course, still managed to make diving both much larger and much safer. This is pretty damn stunning, and refutes all of what old fogies think about these damn kids getting licenses today.
Unfortunately, it's some instructor's self-importance that has brought about "feature creep" back in to the OW course where some instructors (most especially those who congratulate themselves on teaching 6 week course, and writing books about open water courses) have with no defensible rationale, tried to re-expand the shortened OW course back out to the old OW course length.

But these modern instructors themselves learned in the short courses. Even if they took the sort from a disorganized, self-aggrandizing instructor who took forever to actually deliver the short course content.

It is only because they, having become instructors, magically anointed themselves with unearned wisdom that they think re-expanding the time back out to a long course is of some benefit to anyone or anything. It benefits the instructors ego apparently, but it does not benefit the student, the dive center, or the industry.

And more importantly, the basic abilities of an scuba divers from the pre PADI OW course just make most modern instructors look incapable, so one has to consider how this instructor justifies expanding the short course anyway. Every time I mention that I think it is no big deal to do CESAs from 100 ft, and even suggest that DMs and instructors actually in the business of guiding divers to these depth should consider that a basic ability because the situation might come up, I get incredulous reaction from people who think of themselves as expert divers and instructors. But the old-timers know that this is just a thing one might have to do, because CESAs from deep depths were how people without gauges got to the surface when their J-Valve got knocked out of reserve position.

So we got instructors who don't themselves have the basic ability to justify anything longer than a short course trying to lengthen a course. Which is the bull-pucky, if there is any bull pucky.

Now it is a question (or it is should be the question) of how to deliver the short course content in a way that meets the student's, dive center's and industry's long term needs. And that's what RJP's survey should be used to do.

Trying to read it as a justification of lengthening the open water course is misreading (or not knowing) the history of the dive industry. (And it is not benefting anyone.)

The Instructor who feel they are so wise that the world simply cannot live without their brilliance can just learn to shut up, and then they don't have to worry about justifying a longer course to anyone. Because they too can deliver a content rich, yet short course. All they really have to do is bite their tongue, shaddap they face, and logically arrrange the course. And the long course magically becomes a short course.

Now it is a question (or it is should be the question) of how to deliver the short course content in a way that meets the student's, dive center's and industry's long term needs. And that's what RJP's survey should be used to do.

Trying to read it as a justification of lengthening the open water course is misreading (or not knowing) the history of the dive industry. (And it is not benefting anyone.)

I think you're misreading that data and perhaps the intent of those who are wanting to support the notion of a "sufficiently long" class. No one is pushing for an "unnecessarily long" course. The data are pretty clear:

1-2 week courses are considered TOO SHORT by students, and leaves many of them feeling less than than prepared and less than satisfied with experience.

On the other hand... 6 week courses (or longer) confer no additional benefit in terms of preparedness or satisfaction.

However, students who took 3-4 week courses show significantly higher self-reported ratings of preparedness and satisfaction.

Slide18.PNG

Slide19.PNG

I'm still waiting to hear what you think is the explanation for what all these students have to say. There's not one single measure in the survey where the "1 Week of Pool Sessions" group reported better/more favorable ratings than the "Four Week of Pool Sessions" cohort with the exception of a statistically insignificant 4% lower likelihood of having been "uncomfortably cold" at some point during their pool sessions. However, the "One-Week Wonder" students were...

• 5x more likely to report they had too few/far too few pool sessions (22.9% vs 4.3%)
  • 4x more likely to report that their pool sessions were too short/far too short (13.2% vs 3.1%)
  • 6x more likely to report that the total time in weeks was too short/far too short (20.4% vs 3.2%)
  • 2x more likely to report that being physically/mentally tired impeded their learning
  • 50% more likely to report being confused, nervous, or overwhelmed during their pool sessions
  • Somewhat more likely to report "too many students" and "pool too small"
And, not surprisingly, students who had only one week of pool sessions (which would obviously include those whose total certification class was conducted in a single week) reported the lowest amount of time available to swim/practice during their pools sessions, with 57.5% saying they had less than 10% of time available. With this measure seeming to have the highest correlation with preparedness/satisfaction... the overall numbers in the charts above shouldn't be surprised.

So, an offer for you... If I provide you with a unique link to the survey, would you email it out to your students? Some data to back up your belief that your students are better prepared/satisfied that the average "One-Week Wonder" diver - or even the four-week folks - would really lend some credibility to your argument. Right now all we - and you - have is your supposition that they are.

RJP; Your surveys stimulate conversation and are being viewed by active divers, many instructors.

My first course was 6 weeks, plenty of pool work and five open water dives. I became a diver and
still am some 40+ years later.

I think your survey very well supports a longer course-not 6 weeks necessarily-but longer than many
courses currently offered. Well done-hope the various agencies take note.

To RJP:
Here's what my basic problem with dive instruction frequently comes down to (and you actually showed your bias in this respect in the phrasing of the question, as it turns out).

6x more likely to report that the total time in weeks was too short/far too short (20.4% vs 3.2%)

And as an important side note:

How in the world can anyone who is interested in training people to become divers as a profitable (or even break even) venture even begin to consider worrying about the metric of total time in weeks? Then again, as noted again and again, the number of instrcutors who actually dive for a living or even at a break even measure is simply so few as to be non existent. Even more so at SB.

Since safe, effective dive training does not actually take weeks (as the development of the short course and the explosion of both the number of divers and the safety of the sport has shown), then one really has some very heavy lifting to do to show effectiveness (and more importantly the lack of couter-productivity) of the contents of that same course spread out over a longer time.

The questions you ask (and the answers you got), at least having to do with time, are all skewed by this bias: we are focusing on the course and not the result. If someone is taking the OW course for the simple purpose of taking the OW course, and the instrcutor is allowing that approach, then both sides are confused as to what the course is meant to do.

We already have experience programs Discover Scuba Diving and the like to meet the needs of those who want to experience diving in a pool.

Turn your ideas on their heads: do the confined water sections of the course efficiently and effectively (one long single session or two shorter sessions), and once that is done spend the next four weeks just playing in the pool with skill repetitions if you like.

If it is done that way, most every student and the instrcutor will see whether repetitions and time in the water actually result in anything but frustration. Unless the entire goal, for all involved, is the course itself. Which, of course, from unintentionally self important instrcutor, it is. I doubt that most students who end up as divers value the course itself in any way. They may value the foundation they used to move forward as divers.

But unless there is something wrong with the approach, they value the ability to go diving most about getting certified.

Let's get people certified and take them diving. Out gatekeeper role is to keep people from getting certified who are simply not ready to go to the ocean from going there. It should not be to keep people who are ready to go to the ocean from going there. Several week long courses are doing the second thing.

Back
Top Bottom