Surgical Tubing vs Shock Cord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shock cord will last much longer.

But tubing is much more expensive, do people use it for anything?

I use it for holding pencils to wet notes, sometimes for stage/pony bottles. You can also use it for holding arrows and cookies for wreck/cave diving.

Kristopher

Surgical tubing rots when exposed to sunshine. It doesn't last long at all. Some people use it for necklaces; I don't know why.

The only application I use surgical tubing for is to attach to a bolt snap to hold line arrows and cookies.

Ditto on the pencil holder, other than that, the only applications where I can think of that surgical tubing is better than bungee is for a pole spear or spear gun bands.

I have just started to use surgical tubing to hold my wrist mounted computers and compass. It stretches much more and does not shift on my arm during the dive. I only have one dive with the stuff so far, but I really like it at the moment.

I have just started to use surgical tubing to hold my wrist mounted computers and compass. It stretches much more and does not shift on my arm during the dive. I only have one dive with the stuff so far, but I really like it at the moment.

It will rot more quickly and is more likely to fail with little warning. The BEST material to use is strips of truck or car innertube for that application. Cheap (free really) and very UV resistant and the flatened straps hold better than tubing that must be made tight, to prevent rolling and shifting of the tubing. I switched out the latex tubing for truck inner tubes about 25 -30 years ago..

I use it for my knife attached to my thigh. Bungie cord for reg., computers, clipped off stuff in my pockets. I like it for some things because it seams to stay in place better then shock cord.

Back
Top Bottom