Surfing Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boogs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I use a Billabong Solution Gold, and its a really well made suit; glued and blindstiched seams, has a nice fleece-like inner lining that's quite warm, and is very flexible. I also got it on sale. However, its made for surfing. My concern is - am I potentially ruining a good surfing suit by using it for diving? I got my OW cert just a couple of months ago and although I've been searching for a good diving wetsuit, I havent seen any at my LDS that match the quality and construction of mine (Mostly Mares, Aqualung, and Bare)

I did some research and I read that surfing suits werent designed to handle compression and are made with less dense neoprene. Is this the case for high end surfing wetsuits as well? Does this also add more bouyancy to my wetsuit? I hope someone can enlighten me.

I say dive in it, see how you feel. If it keeps you warm and you feel good in it, wear it for diving!

Hey im under the impression that surfing wetsuits have less airbubbles in the neoprene... although thinking about it now im thinking maybe its the other way around? more airbubbles? making them compress more at depth and be colder for diving than a diving wetsuit would be? that makes more sense... if thats the case it'll be less bouyant and you'll loose warmth and bouyancy very quickly at depth (which is what i understood the problem with surf suits for diving was so it must be that way...) hah that was probably a confusing answer.. hope it helped tho!

@Tinytechie,
I believe that's the case, although I hope someone could confirm this. I know little about how wetsuits are made and nothing about neoprene formulas.
@Filippo,
Yes to both counts but I'm more concerned it might break down quickly.

OTOH, I just won a Henderson Gold Core in almost brand new condition for $75 in ebay. Used only a couple of times. I sort of bought it on impulse since it was so cheap. Did I make the right move? What to expect?

Last edited:
Surf suits are made with a different type of neoprene that does not withstand the compression of diving. When a suit compresses you loose warmth. A good diving suit should have a nitrogen cell structure (not air) which keeps the suit from compressing at depth. Here is a link to a great video that shows the difference between neoprenes and compression factors Wetwear - Hyperbaric Chamber Test Wet Suits for Neoprenes - How does yours hold up? . This is a very good reference to use when looking at different types of material used to make different types of suits.

When it gets cold enough to use a wetsuit, I use a Rip Curl F-Bomb 3/2 that I bought for surfing when I was out in California for work. Seems to work pretty well for me, although I don't have anything to compare it to. Likewise my GF has used a Henderson 5mm while surfing....

I only use surfing wetsuits up to 5mm and then switch directly to dry suit
The neoprene used for surf and scuba is pretty much the same the insulation is provided by the fit of the suit which is more important than the materials
Actually manufacturer of surf gear like o'neill make impressive wetsuits for diving
I personally spend less than £100 on wetsuit and when they are compressed which always happens I throw them away
all those expensive suits with merino and special seams blah blah seem a waste of money

Thanks!

surf suits are made with a different type of neoprene that does not withstand the compression of diving. When a suit compresses you loose warmth. A good diving suit should have a nitrogen cell structure (not air) which keeps the suit from compressing at depth. Here is a link to a great video that shows the difference between neoprenes and compression factors wetwear - hyperbaric chamber test wet suits for neoprenes - how does yours hold up? . This is a very good reference to use when looking at different types of material used to make different types of suits.

Back
Top Bottom