Surface swimming stamina (and speed?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an instructor I am always surprised to see a lot of potential divers wanting to try the sport yet having been couch potatoes for the past decade. True, a new student can pass the swim tests easily and even get certified, but those are usually done under controlled and manageable conditions. Add currents, depth, darkness, low viz, unfamiliarity with the site or buddy, cold water temps, peer pressure to dive, infrequest diving, being lost and a host of other situations; and fitness (both mental and physical), become serious safety issues. Just look at the statistics DAN has amassed over the years or note the changes in the medical statements now being used by diving organizations. It applies to newbies, experienced divers and instructors. All it takes is one incident and you can be a historical event! Fitness needs to be a safety factor, not a safety liability.

Oh, fooey... I tried to push off into general scuba, but the thread devolved into fitness and got flushed to where only the fitness freaks (hehe) will see it. I don't suppose that'll skew the responses. :D

Hey Clay Jar, did you tick somebody off? They buried this thing deeper than Jimmie Hoffa.

Hehe... you just need to have a bit more stamina to get all the way down here to find it. :D

Back
Top Bottom