Surface supplied air with porter cable pan cake compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I understand that you don't own this, or even recommend it. But you did swear allegiance to DESCO and my point is that they are selling (in this case) low-quality crap at an exorbitant (IMHO) price. Liabilty insurance costs passed on to the customer? Liability insurance is a cost of doing business, is amortized across their product line and in any case, doesn't justify a $1000+ markup on this hookah rig. A rig you could very easily assemble yourself for less than half of what DESCO charges for it, even paying full retail for all the components.

I have spent thousands of working hours in their pot along with thousands of working both in front and behind their com box (s)

Damn right i like their gear.

Again the point is if a company with the rep it has in the commercial dive industry, will not put their name on a piece of crap. Guess who builds the compressing unit. Yup. Guess where thomas industries also gets their units. Same one you are now using.
As for what they charge. Price minus Added gear
Plus profit minus issuance per unit. It is far less than a grand. Tell you what.. start producing life support units then tell me issiuance is the cost of doing biz. The frigging lawyers own this industry.

Don't mind wall of text i am on my phone. Lol

good evening Fastbottoms

Thomas indust was an old trade name G-D acquired Thomas in the early '00's
The model you have is manufactured in china ( If I remember correctly U.S. site builds industrial, Germany - precision China- all others). Another American O.E.M compressor company also uses the same asian factories.
fyi - your model is used extensively in the aeration industry (ponds, golf course, fish farms, large koi ).

The compressor I linked and the one you pictured are one in the same. the compressor unit used comes from Garner-Denver's competitor.

I intentionally linked to desco package in order to show others these so call "breathing compressors" are nothing more than air compressors. you and I appear to be debating the usefulness of said dive package.

what makes a good "dive" compressor - reliability? repair-ability? durability? repair parts? (oil-less open bottom piston)
DESCO decided that this compressor package meets their requirement.

continuous run motor (O.E.M spec sheet)
oil-less
5.0 cfm @ 90psi And pushes the volume tank to 200psi and regulates output (min. cfm for Jack Brown mask 5.0 at 50psi)
4 thousand hour maintenance cycle ( O.E.M spec sheet)
full parts available (O.E.M)

what keeps this from being a useful compressor for the average joe diver
15amp draw (reason desco includes gfi)
18 starting (reason desco includes gfi)
frigging thing weights damn near hundred pounds
motor, compressor foot print are not standard can not be used in other configs.

When it comes to the whole low pressure compressor (open bottom piston Oil-less) debate I am with ya man. Most commercial divers dont understand the usefulness of these "little" units for shallow water. Personally I like GAST compressors. LOL

oh btw I took offense of you comparing DESCO to some no-name shaddy ebay sellers. Any commercial diver worth his grain of salt knows DESCO's integrity within the commercial dive industry. JK no offense taken. :poke::cheers:

Last edited:
I hear ya but DESCO asking over $2400 for that setup? That's a ripoff plain and simple. You can buy the compressor anywhere for $350. All the other components bought at DESCO are $1127, for a grand total of $1477.

Maybe some of you hard hat guys like spending a thousand extra just so you can have the DESCO sticker on your sure-to-rust-in-a-hurry, mild steel accumulator tank.

I can guarantee they are not marketing that package to industrial dive companies or divers.
If some pool maintenance diver wants to spend that kind of coin, more power to the company that sells it. What gets me is what people spend on the most recognized hookah system. Now that is outrageous. if ya need to put a gas driven compressor in an inner tube call innovative designs or better yet order everything from keen dredge with the money left over pay for a motel and enjoy the weekend in the keys. LOL

as for the mild steel volume tank - industry standard, nothing wrong with it. drain, keep it filled(pressurized), good to go
never had one corrode through.

damn I like this edit button LOL

Last edited:
I can guarantee they are not marketing that package to industrial dive companies or divers.
If some pool maintenance diver wants to spend that kind of coin, more power to the company that sells it.

Anybody doing pool or boat maintenance or golf ball retrieval could shave another $600 off the price of that rig simply by buying the IST full face mask.

if ya need to put a gas driven compressor in an inner tube call innovative designs or better yet order everything from keen dredge with the money left over pay for a motel and enjoy the weekend in the keys. LOL

I bought my very first hookah from Innovative Designs when I started my dive service back in '94. They've been out of business for years, unfortunately.

I bought my very first hookah from Innovative Designs when I started my dive service back in '94. They've been out of business for years, unfortunately.

bummer.
Purchased from them myself. :cheers:
Back in the nineties Chris had the best price on GAST compressors. Drove to Palm harbor and picked them up. The super snorkel was a tiny part of their biz. If I remember innovative built mainly water and air storage vessel units for industrial use. Chris ran super snorkel and his father owned innovative.
If my memory serves me correctly, his dad was long in the tooth hard hat and spent time working seasons as a sponge diver out of tarpon springs. Last I talked with him, direct drive units replaced their belt driven products (circa 2005ish?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom