Surface supplied air with porter cable pan cake compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I run a business doing hull cleaning, zincs, props etc.. but I also usually spend at least one day a week golf ball diving. I've been looking into a surface supplied system and the local big time salvage guys both use oiless porter cable pancake compressors you can buy at home depot. I know they use a 5 micron particulate matter filter, with diving air lines straight to there Kirby Morgan hats. Anyone have experience with this?

I would look into an actual hooka compressor however air is air I just wouldn't want to trust something that was designed to run an airgun not to fail while I was underwater.

I wouldn't be to concerned about it failing while diving, if you can't handle an OOA at 10-20 ft you have bigger issues. That said, considering the smell of the air coming out of my PC pancake compressor, I wouldn't breath it. They obviously have some form of rust preventive in it, that stuff stinks and can't be good to breath.

The rules here in Canada would not permit it. I did a quick search for Oregon and found; http://www.orosha.org/pdf/rules/division_2/div2_t.pdf

(1) Compressors used to supply air to the diver shall be equipped with a volume tank with a check valve on the inlet side, a pressure gauge, a relief valve, and a drain valve.
(2) Air compressor intakes shall be located away from areas containing exhaust or other contaminants.
(3) Respirable air supplied to a diver shall not contain:
(i) A level of carbon monoxide (CO) greater than 20 p/m;
(ii) A level of carbon dioxide (CO2) greater than 1,000 p/m;
(iii) A level of oil mist greater than 5 milligrams per cubic meter; or T EQUIPMENT / AIR SUPPLY SYSTEMS
(iv) A noxious or pronounced odor.
(4) The output of air compressor systems shall be tested for air purity every 6 months by means of samples taken at the connection to the distribution system, except that non-oil lubricated compressors need not be tested for oil mist.

Tests for carbon monoxide shall be conducted on the air in air supply systems as follows:
(a) At least daily for air supplied directly to the diver; and
(b) At least once for each group or batch of cylinders filled or purchased

Hope this answers some questions.

A pancake compressor is fine, as long as it has proper filtration to reduce oil, CO, particulates, hydrocarbons, and odor. It's likely your buds are not just using a pancake direct to a Kirby Morgan, as every KM I've seen is routed through a coms and supply distribution manifold, with backup air supply from K bottles, or at the very least, a scuba cylinder. Of course, I've only seen professionals. I haven't come across too many amateurs with $4,000 hats.

Something like that might be good for a mask. Not sure it could keep up with demand of a diver while he is working in a hat though. Also the volume tank is too small. I would run that to a separate, larger volume tank.

Would it be a gas or electric powered compressor I personally would stick with electric and go with as high a volume of cfm as I could find I would also go oilless as well as put on many filters as well as a snorkel to raise the air intake on the compressor as high as possible and get the cleaner safer air

I would look into an actual hooka compressor however air is air I just wouldn't want to trust something that was designed to run an airgun not to fail while I was underwater.

Every commercially available hookah rig is based on an air compressor that was designed for another purpose. While I personally wouldn't use a Home Depot special, they will provide safe breathing air.

So I run a business doing hull cleaning, zincs, props etc.. but I also usually spend at least one day a week golf ball diving. I've been looking into a surface supplied system and the local big time salvage guys both use oiless porter cable pancake compressors you can buy at home depot. I know they use a 5 micron particulate matter filter, with diving air lines straight to there Kirby Morgan hats. Anyone have experience with this?

The hull cleaning industry standard are the Thomas 1020 and 1207 compressors. Install a simple partical filter in your air hose and you're good to go.

compressor.jpg

thomas1207compressor.jpg

Fastbottoms,

The 1207 you mentioned is equipped with a thermal protector on the motor side. Have you ever had it trip?

The reason i am curious. Most of the big box store "oilless" compressors have motors with thermal protection. Because of this, cheap oilless compressors are built using crap motors. Over working an electric motor that is not rated for "continuous use" leads to compressor shut down. (not good)

For those who do not know, Thomas pump is the number one source for the hookah industry bar none

Sourcing out shallow water "dive" compressors aint so hard once one knows where to look.
The great unicorn known as "The dive compressor" LOL

And to all who might like to DIY Building your own is doable.

After doing a forum search and reading other threads (similar to this subject).
:::REPEAT:::: DO NOT BUY YOUR BREATHING HOSE FROM HOME DEPOT, LOWES, ACE HARDWARE...OR...ANY OF THE BIG BOX STORES. PERIOD!

PURCHASE from a reputable source. Must be for breathing air ONLY.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom