Surface shooting and water drop problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpacifica:
Well, I tried the RainX today. The stuff seemed to work on the first few photos, but about 10 minutes in the seawater and the coating seemed to lose its effectiveness and water began forming noticeable beads and film on the lens. Here are two photos taken 10 minutes apart in the Grotto, a popular cavern dive in Saipan. Hopefully my one-time use of RainX on my WAL and the lens port haven't done too much damage.

The unwanted effect is quite interesting!
Lisa

22.gif

marpacifica, thanks for posting the results of your experiment with the Rain-X. It didn't seem to last long. I wonder if the Marine version has any longer lasting effect in salt water?

The times I surfaced, gotten back into my kayak and wanted to take a picture I used mask defog on the housing lens port. It worked fine for a few shots then if needed I just re-applied it. I use the type that is thicker than water like the "Sea Drops" brand.

How long it will survive depth in your BCD pocket is another issue.

Gilligan:
I use the type that is thicker than water like the "Sea Drops" brand.
Me too. The gold one seems to work the best for me.
How long it will survive depth in your BCD pocket is another issue.

Good question. Never done this.
TedJ

Gilligan, no problem about posting my unscientific results. After all your helpful tips and contributions on this board, I figured it was the least I could do for learning so much from you. I agree, Lisa, that sometimes the waterdroplets on the lens can give a cool effect to the shot.

The RainX on my windshield seems to work really well for 2-3 rainstorms, and after that I have to put on another coat. So immersion in saltwater may accelerate loss of the RainX on marine surfaces.

Another consideration with the screw-on lenses for the PT series is that there is a gap between the lens port and the back end of the lens, so that's another two lens surfaces you have to deal with. When I took 1/2 air 1/2 underwater shots before using RainX, I noticed that the water levels on the outer lens and the inner gap were different because the water in the gap doesn't drain or fill very quickly through the very small drain vents. I'll post a photo later when I get home.

Lisa.....:thumb: Great shot!

hi all,

it's a little cumbersome to manage the housing out of the water at the surface while trying to do this, but it has worked with a little help from my buddy (hubb) just fine.

i use the synthetic car washing version of the traditional shammy- just cut a small square out of the larger sheet. (the one i have is the 'del sol' brand from the Target store car washing aisle). i just wring it out, wipe my port or WAL, and voila....

folds up neatly into my thigh pocket.

hope this helps,
lorien

24.gif

clementyn, you get a Blue Ribbon award for that idea. I love it. I'm going to keep a small piece in my kayak "mini bag" along with my defog, sunscreen, etc.

Complements of EWA:
WATER DROPLETS ON THE FRONT PORT:
Whenever you wish to take a half & half photo; 1/2 of the picture under the water and 1/2 of the picture over the water level, you will find some drops of water sticking to the front port above the water level. To avoid this, rub the outside of the front port with a slice of apple. The fruit acid in the apple will break the surface tension of the water and stop the drops from forming. Depending on the water, salt or fresh, the application must be repeated after 3 to 5 minutes.

Hey, I like the apple idea. And when I get hungry, I'll just eat the rest of the apple....

thanks gilligan,

i forgot to mention to make sure you fresh water rinse the shammy with the rest of your gear, as it will get salt crystal buildup in the pores of the shammy.

lorien :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom