Surface GPS to take diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a cheap GPS that I can take underwater while diving? NOT A GPS TO BE USED UNDERWATER. I only want to use it when I surface to get a bearing to my boat or shore entry point. I already have 2 Shearwaters, so I do not want to spend $$$ on a Descent. I did buy an underwater canister for a handheld Garmin GPS, but it is kinda bulky. So far, I only found the Descent and Atmos Mission One ($450). Is there anything cheaper out there?

Steve

Are you actually going far enough away from your boat or entry point to need a GPS to tell you where it is? And if you are that far away do you really want to surface swim back to it?

Seems like route planning would be a better solution. And a cheap GPS will be the same as the handheld one you already have, and would need a canister.

Is there a cheap GPS that I can take underwater while diving? NOT A GPS TO BE USED UNDERWATER. I only want to use it when I surface to get a bearing to my boat or shore entry point. I already have 2 Shearwaters, so I do not want to spend $$$ on a Descent. I did buy an underwater canister for a handheld Garmin GPS, but it is kinda bulky. So far, I only found the Descent and Atmos Mission One ($450). Is there anything cheaper out there?

Steve
Any reason you don't want to put your smartphone in a waterproof case (or a ziplock baggie)?

If you don't have one, it may be time to claw your way into the 2000's, there are very capable 'droid phones out there for ~$200

My Garmin Descent is not cheap, but it automagically does that chore for me. It's a nice PDC as well.

The Garmin Instinct states that it is waterproof down to 10 ATM. I have had one for almost 2 years and am happy with it but have never dove with it. It's dropped in price quite a bit, I have seen it as low as $150 on sale.
This is a screen shot, transfered to my phone after leaving it on the dive boat, of where the dive boat went.
Screenshot_20201112-142405_Connect[2871].jpg

Any reason you don't want to put your smartphone in a waterproof case (or a ziplock baggie)?

If you don't have one, it may be time to claw your way into the 2000's, there are very capable 'droid phones out there for ~$200

Can the phone handle the uw pressure without breaking?

Steve

I'll add my two cents to the discussion. I was looking for the same kind of thing about five years ago, something that was rated water resistant to diving depths and could do my GPS data on the surface. I bought a Suunto Ambit 3 and it did the trick nicely. It's rated water resistant to 100 meters. They're a little pricey new, but used ones can be found for under $150.

Some people recoil at the mention of "Suunto", but I've never had a problem with them (dive computers or my Ambit.)

Back
Top Bottom