Surface flotation for DIR harness idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaToneDog

I cant agree with you more. Ive heard all sorts of guys claiming thier wings dont float them or push them face down. You couldnt be more right in your explanation. The military doesnt buy it either. They have two catagories on thier purchasing lists: Bouyancy Compensators and Life Preservers.

A BC is just that, a BC. Its not a life preserver and I guess thats what I'm looking for.

Your last point about Rescue Diver courses was right on the money. I have taken SSI's Stress & Rescue course. I dont think it would even qualify as an "Awareness" level of training in the Public Safety area. Not that it was bad or even taught bad ideas. Just not at the level a professional needs.

I understand what goes into rescue training. I was in the Coast Guard for 5 years. 3 of those years were at a Rescue Station. We trained constantly. New proceedures equiptment and policies were coming out on almost a monthly basis. I can only imagine the constant change and training that goes on in your field...

Kudo's to you my friend...

Thanks

You would actually be suprised. In the end Rescue work doesnt change that much. Oh sure new technoligies come along. Car makers come up with things like airbags in cars that give us trouble, but Im glad they are there.

But most of it is agencies changing the wording in training manuals just to sell you a new book every couple of years. Leadership is the same as its always been. They just add a couple of new terms to describe the same thing......woala!.....new edition.

Really admire the work the Coast Guard does. Kinda wish I'd gone that way instead of the Navy.

Cant resist telling my height requirement joke to a Coastie though. hehehe

Yeah I've heard them all.

Funny thing is...every Navy guy who stepped foot on the Bouy Tender I was on up in Alaska puked their guts out from sea sickness...unless they were using the patch....:eek:ut:

At the Rescue Station we had updates to all areas, Law Enforcement, SAR, General Maintence, Preventive Maintenence, Safety, ect...so we never stopped training. When someones life or property is at stake you have to react, not act.

It was a great experience and I would'nt trade those times for anything.

Back
Top Bottom