SureFire, under pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoshP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone know if my Surefire Z2 or G2 will work while diving? my Z2 is 120 Lumens and my G2 is 80 lumens...I know they are waterproof my z2 has been through hell and back in Iraq with me, just wondering if i can take it on a well deserved dive vacation.

It will leak trust me... I know A buddy of mine had 4 different Surefires and wwe took them diving...took them apart and checked the orings 1st and libed them...never went below 100 ft in saltwater and all but 1 leaked on the 1st dive.....the final one leaked on the 3rd dive.......

It can be modded for diving... I have done it... but there are mods to be made:

1. you need to replace the o-rings with new and better ones who are just a bit bigger...just a bit, not too big, cause you will have problems getting the parts properly mounted together. If there are place for it, put on two...one just right in front of the threads...if possible...if not, don't. some lights have these possible feature.

2. you need to put some water resistant elastic glue sealant between the bezel and the front glass and in every joints where you don't need to open the light. you can buy this anywhere.. try a shop for building materials. try to find a brand called TECH 7...exellent stuff :)
you should only need to open it at the tailcap for accessing the battery.

3. you ned to put a plastic or rubber cup over the tail cap with a washer between the clicky switch and this cup to prevent the water preasure from pressing in the tail cup switch. I did it with a plastic cup from a soda bottle. Remember to set the switch in "on" position before mounting this.... :)

4. you need to cut the spring inside the tailcap at a length that makes the spring to only gaining electrical contact with the battery only when you have screwed the tailcap almost fully in. (actually you are modding it to a twisty switch). you may also need to cut away a part of the spring in the front at the driverboard if needed so that the battery only are gaining contact when the tailcap are screwed almost fully in.
I've done it..it works... it is hard to twist while diving... I do it at the surface...and only then.. no need while diving :) ... it can only make the light starts leaking...

5. finally you can also put some teflon tape on the threads... for extra sealing.

If it sounds like much work, it actually isn't... just take your time and youl be fine...
I bought this one :sku.22574
at dealextreme.com
and did these mod...it has double o-rings :) and is small, briiiight and cheap :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom