Suprema U-Beam 44 LED light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver69

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this light before? They have some on sale at EBAY.

I had a Tektite strobe personal locator light that went belly-up after my last trip - never flooded or anything. I sent it back to Tektite and they either repaired it or sent me a new one - great service - no complaint there. But I turned the new/repaired Tektite 30 Led Strobe, it flashed once and then died on me again.

So, instead of getting another Tektite, I am looking for something more reliable, afterall, my life could depend on this light.

That's when I saw this Suprema Light on EBAY. Searched the web for more information on this, but there does not seem to be much info on the web for it.

It takes 5 AA batteries (they say Alkaline or NiCad, so i wonder if I can use NiMH with it). Supposed to have 44 LEDs in the light and it can stay on as a regular flashlight/focus light for camera or you can turn it into a strobe/personal locator type of light - so, it is kind of dual purpose...

I have pasted the description below - I don't know how bright 640 lux is, may be someone can translate:

Visible for 4 + miles in clear conditions
Maximum depth 130 ft (40 meters).
Meets IPX8 waterproof standards).
Controls: On/Off/ Strobe Switch
Uses 5 1.5V" AA" alkaline batteries.
640 Lux @ 1m distance.
Burn Time: After 0 hour - 640 lux.
After 3 hours - 230 Lux.
White LED, Daylight 6100 degrees K
Under normal condition will last 100,000 hours.

Another description:
You've read about these LED lights with 44 LED bulbs. The light is powered by 5 AA Alkaline or Ni Cad batteries and includes a mounting ring and stainless steel wing nut which allows for easy attachment to strobe arms. A handy lanyard is provided for securing to wrist when serving as a night light. These lights are excellent for all rugged outdoor use, as a modeling light, night dives and macro lens auto focus during night dives.
Yellow Body
Max. operating depth 40 meters
Super Bright 44 LEDs giving 4.5 WATT power at 6166 Kelvin
Batteries - 5 X 1.5V AA
Illumination 220 LUX (Full Power Alkaline battery) 25 Lumen / Square Centimeter
Flashlight burn time at max strength - 8 + hours and in Emergency strobe mode up to 36 hours
Waterproofing Seal Gasket and Switch O-Ring
Maximum Depth 40 meters/130 feet
Controls- 3 way switch, off, emergency strobe and dive light
Dimension Approximately 80(W) x 70(H) x 155(D) mm
Weight Approximately 180g (without battery)
Light beam width +-10 degree

Has anyone ever used one?

Just to clarify a point - when I said Personal Locator Light, I actually meant Emergency Strobe.
This is a light that i would use if the boat left me behind or I drifted too far from the boat on a night dive.
I would not use the strobe DURING a dive - it's VERY VERY VERY annoying. Dove with a diver who had a strobe on during her entire dive - drove the rest of the group bonkers.
So, I only intend to use this light on the surface and only in an emergency. That's why I thought this light would work well because I can use it as by third back-up light AND as an Emergency Strobe.
My other lights are Primary - Princeton Tec Shockwave II (regular non LED model), secondary - UK SL4, and a little Akona 4 AA light that came with my dive package and is attached to my BCD.
As I said, I had a Tektite Strobe before, but I never turned it on except to check it's working when I am on land.

The guy on EBay has relabled this light. Fantasea sells the same thing as the Fantasea LED44. I use it as a marker light for anchor lines and as a focus light for my camera. LED light works well int ehdark, but gets washed out in clear conditions.

The light floats big time.

It would be ok, but again in sunlight LED washes out. A dedicated strobe is really necessary on the surface.

It's the OEM thing.
1. Not useful for day time, but it is ok for night dive, or even macro photography.
There are at least 2 versions I've seen, one with the blinking on and off, the other without.
What else? Hmm...
2. After the flash light have been used for a while, there is a chance that you may find it hard to switch the light from "off" to "on" position (and vice versa) because there is a small spring lock which is used to hold the switch fixed at the exact "on" or "off" position. Meaning you have to push the switch hard enough to move the spring lock from the locking position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom