Super Project!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Several months ago I posted about the acceptance of a project I have been working on... Today was the culmination of a bunch of work!!!

NOAA, NASA, Dynamac Corporation, Navy Underwater Warfare Center, Coast Guard, University of South Florida, Air Force 45th Space Wing and Spaceport Florida teamed up with a super project.

Using underwater acoustics and chemical sensing of the waters around Kennedy Space Center...The study has biological, homeland security and government teamwork applications.

In a lagoon with shuttle launch pads as a back drop, we have deployed a variety of Navy, NASA and UCF hydrophones, underwater mass spec devices, chemical analysis sensors and mapping sonar. The chemical and mapping devices are on board automated underwater vehicles, small torpedos...sophisticated electronics in place of a warhead...they can operate over several hours doing their studies.

Everything went perfect...local media will be invited on Wednesday.

Since he initiated this as a biological study, Dr Grant Gilmore is our featured person...You mahave seen him on "Discovery" with Harbor Branch Foundation. He has done several series, most remarkable was a trip around the coast of Cuba catologing fish species.

What's so wild about this project...It started as a biological inventory of fish spawning habits in the Banana River Lagoon and technology was transferred into homeland security -- detect divers in a port environment. Also the ability to detect boats in secure areas. NOAA is intrested in Intrusions into Marine Sanctuaries. The Air Force has a need to detect the presence of boaters in Blast Danger Areas, that is debris fallout in the event of any rocket launch incidents.

So you can see why I am so excited to be a part of this initiative where our tax dollars are at work in a positive, peaceful manner.
Joe

Congratulations! Sounds like alot of secret stuff could be involved. Either way, keep us informed of how things go.

Great to hear everything worked as planned.

Don't you hate to hear the phrase "but it worked great back at the lab"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom