Sunscreen Killing Coral Reefs Apparently...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
"Lathering Up with Sunscreen May Protect Against Cancer - Killing Coral Reefs Worldwide"

Lathering up with sunscreen may prevent sunburn and protect against cancer, but it is also killing coral reefs around the world.

That’s the conclusion of a team of international scientists, which includes University of Central Florida professor and diving enthusiast John Fauth.

The researchers found that oxybenzone, a common UV-filtering compound, is in high concentrations in the waters around the more popular coral reefs in Hawaii, and the Caribbean. The chemical not only kills the coral, it causes DNA damage in adults and deforms the DNA in coral in the larval stage, making it unlikely they can develop properly. The highest concentrations of oxybenzone were found in reefs most popular with tourists.

So what can everyday divers do to protect the reefs?

“Wear rash guards or scuba wetsuits and skip all the hygienic products when you go diving,” Fauth said. “If we could do it for a week at a time, people can certainly forgo it for a few hours to help protect these reefs for our children and their children to see.”

https://today.ucf.edu/lathering-up-...against-cancer-killing-coral-reefs-worldwide/

Well that sucks...:(

I was around for the testing of a new product recently. Stream2sea was tested by Mote Marine Lab for it's toxicity to corals. Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen The sunscreen is made in Florida, tested on coral in Florida, and was largely non toxic. None of the other leading "reef safe" brands even came close.

I remember a dive in cox or belize and the dive op told us that sun screen was the #1 cause of dying coral.

I was around for the testing of a new product recently. Stream2sea was tested by Mote Marine Lab for it's toxicity to corals. Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen The sunscreen is made in Florida, tested on coral in Florida, and was largely non toxic. None of the other leading "reef safe" brands even came close.

I can't find on their website if Solrx was tested too, I love their claimed reef safe zinc sunscreen.

There's another brand for sale in local divr shops that is pretty good but the higher spf versions are greasy.

I haven't used a non reef safe claimed version for a long time but I would like to see studies to prove it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stream2Sea's CEO is an avid south Florida diver. She is very serious about the local environment and the effects of so called reef safe products. It was her commitment to this that led to Stream2Sea. They did use Eckerd College to help make it/verify it safe. I doubt you will find a similar commitment from other brands that claim to be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom