Sunpak or Epoque for Canon S1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Varoshiotis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have just discovered and joined this forum today so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been answered, but I have, on the basis of price, shortlisted the following 2 strobes to buy: Sunpak G-flash and Epoque ES-150DS.
The Sunpak is cheaper but I am troubled about the fact that the Sunpak does not "hide" the onboard flash so I cannot see how you will not get the typical "dust" (sorry don't know the technical term) showing as the onboard flash is so close to the lens.

PLEASE advice me as I am totally lost. I tried UW photography for the first time last summer in Cyprus using the Canon housing and the onboard flash. Please feel free to visit my online photo gallery - comments and criticism welcome
Cyprus underwater

Regards
alexis

Does NOBODY have any opinions on this?
More importantly, can nobody answer the question regarding the Sunpak G-Flash. If this flash does not "hide" the on-board flash how id it expected that you will still not get visible "particles" so typical of on-board flash photos?

Thanx
Alexis

Varoshiotis:
Hi there,
I have just discovered and joined this forum today so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been answered, but I have, on the basis of price, shortlisted the following 2 strobes to buy: Sunpak G-flash and Epoque ES-150DS.
The Sunpak is cheaper but I am troubled about the fact that the Sunpak does not "hide" the onboard flash so I cannot see how you will not get the typical "dust" (sorry don't know the technical term) showing as the onboard flash is so close to the lens.

PLEASE advice me as I am totally lost. I tried UW photography for the first time last summer in Cyprus using the Canon housing and the onboard flash. Please feel free to visit my online photo gallery - comments and criticism welcome
Cyprus underwater

Regards
alexis

In my opinion, either of these strobes would be better than nothing, but not near as good as Sea & Sea, Inon or Ikelite. They are not as powerful nor have the number of adjustments as the 3 I listed.

For digicams in polycarbonite housings, the Inon D2000 is the top strobe available (IMHO). However, it can only be fired via a fiber optic cable. If you ever upgrade to a camera the uses a sync cord, you will be SOL.

HTH,
Dave

dbh:
If you ever upgrade to a camera the uses a sync cord, you will be SOL.

HTH,
Dave

Or have a great complete set to sell to a dive buddy :)

I have heard many troubling complaints about issues with Epoque & Sunpak strobes and their poorly designed battery door, and lack of USA warranty support. I can't recommend either of them.

Ryan:
Or have a great complete set to sell to a dive buddy :)

I have heard many troubling complaints about issues with Epoque & Sunpak strobes and their poorly designed battery door, and lack of USA warranty support. I can't recommend either of them.
Yeap,
the battery door sucks. The second divetrip (two weeks ago) when I wanted to pack the Sunpack, I wanted to insert batteries. Couldn't open the battery door; so started to fiddle with a screwdriver ( BAD idea!) and the two small coils inside the battery door come loose. So I guess the flash is history?

desperoadie:
Yeap,
the battery door sucks. The second divetrip (two weeks ago) when I wanted to pack the Sunpack, I wanted to insert batteries. Couldn't open the battery door; so started to fiddle with a screwdriver ( BAD idea!) and the two small coils inside the battery door come loose. So I guess the flash is history?

That's bad news.
Is there ANY reasonably-priced strobe that the infrequent user can use reliably - what about the Reefmaster one?

regards
alexis

reefmaster just came out with the sl960d thats universal..can be used with just about any digital camera and has 5 presets that you can use..and right now its selling around 349.00 us

Many of the Canons can set the flash level manually. If the flash only fires once, then you can get a cheap slave strobe. A strobe like the Ikelite Substrobe A35 (#5468) would work well. You could also get a used Ikelite AQ/S. They originally sold for $100. With either of these you will need a fiberoptic connector kit, about $40.

DesertEagle:
Many of the Canons can set the flash level manually. If the flash only fires once, then you can get a cheap slave strobe. A strobe like the Ikelite Substrobe A35 (#5468) would work well. You could also get a used Ikelite AQ/S. They originally sold for $100. With either of these you will need a fiberoptic connector kit, about $40.

After reading everything that there is to read on entry-level strobes, and realising that the Epoque and the Sunpak are basically the same flashgun, I decided to buy the Sunpak that arrives (hopefully) today.

The decision, at the end was dictated by cost and brand confidence.
a) Due to my small budget and infequent use, I could not stretch to any of the more popular (on this forum) flashguns/strobes so my choice was between the 2 mentioned.
b) Having read a review that highlighted the similarities between the two units I decided for Sunpak - the idea of peeling cheap "epoque" stickers (according to the review I read) did not appeal. Sunpak is a large enough company to take items back,, I hope, in the event of failures.
c) In the UK, the Epoque ES-150DS kit (strobe, flexiarm, stay and fibre optic cable) sells for £250, whereas the Sunpak G-flash (all of the above except the fibre optic cable) sells for £150. I can buy the Epoque fibre optic cable for £40, thus saving £60.

I plan to take it to a 5m pool in a couple of weeks so I'll report back then - unfortunately my next "proper" dive is not till August.

Thanx for all your feedback - much appreciated.

alexis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom