Sunpak comes through

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
To my happy surprise, I just received a box from UPS with a brand new Sunpak G-flash inside to replace my flooded one. I have certainly had issues with the Sunpak, as the first one quit after 3 dives for no apparent reason, and the second one flooded regardless of my care and careful handling. I have to say, however, that ToCAD America has come through with flying colors in standing behind their product. I simply sent them the strobe, with a copy of the invoice and a note explaining that I had carefully serviced it, lubed the o-ring and properly installed the battery cover but it had flooded halfway through the dive. I drained the seawater/battery acid out and sent it to them as it was pulled from the water and asked if they could find a reason for flooding, as I couldn't. Three weeks later, new strobe. Now, if they would just redesign that silly battery cover so it isn't so sensitive.

I have been following the threads on this unit with more than passing interest as the G-Flash was high on my list of bang-for-the-buck.

I note that your case is not unusual, but I wonder what is your confidence level taking this new unit out. Obviously there is little choice but to give it a shot. Have you developed any tricks learned from these past failures to improve your odds?

I'm thinking the purchase of a G-flash would be hard to justify now, but I'd like to hear your view of "would I buy it again".

Thanks.

Good to hear Larry!!!!!

DougNR,

Mine is still running a month after the warranty ran out. I would probably not buy one of these again, the battery door design is just wrong for diving. It is a great cheap strobe but I worry on every dive if it will flood again. I, like Larry, don't know why mine flooded when it did. I was, and am, very careful to be sure the seal is right on the door. If this strobe floods, I'll get a different kind that has a better battery compartment design.

Ditto, what Sea Yoda said. The strobe puts out really good power for the money, and is infinitely adjustable. It cycles very quickly at the lower power settings. My only issue with it is reliability. First one worked awesome, had a great slave sensor but failed, no known reason, no apparent damage. Second one wouldn't flash with any consistency. The sensor just didn't work very well. I tried it remote, which worked fine with the first one, even from 3-4 feet away. It flashed about one time in four. I bought a fiberoptic cable, and it went to about three out of four. I'm curious to see how the sensor on the new one is, but I'm almost afraid to take it under water. If Sunpak would redesign the battery door and make it reliable, it would be a dynamite product. As it is, I can't recommend it. Spend the bucks and get a high quality strobe. It's worth it.

SeaYoda & Larry

Thanks very much for your opinions. Sorry for the delay in a reply. I was at Key Largo having a bit of a Thanksgiving dive holiday. I used the FantaSea housing for my Nikon L3 with (what I consider) great success. I'm happy enough with the product that perhaps their combo housing / SunPak offering would be a good choice. There is nowhere near as much flash power as the G-Flash, but I guess a functioning smaller unit beats a flooded one any day.

Many thanks again for your opinions.

alcina,
Do you have the website of Japan Yuso you were telling about, as a good seller of strobes?

ok thanks.

There is a Santa! Arrived home last night to find a new G-Flash from ToCad on my doorstep. Using your suggestions, returned my flooded stobe & they sent me a new one. Will get to test it in feb. when we go to Cozumel. Unfortunately, the original one flooded on our first dive in Rarotonga on our recent trip, so our pics suffered a bit.

Mike

http://web.mac.com/csealove/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom