Sunken submarine outside of Tampa bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol, Ill plug you guys into the rotation, I mostly dive with shooters though just a friendly forewarning.

If you guys wanna pm me your numbers that would help, when i have spots to fill i send a mass text to all my dive buds and first responses get on the boat.

Looking to learn how to spearfish too, already got my spear.
PM on the way...

I posted the original thread a little over a year ago about an encounter I had with an acquaintance about 50 years ago concerning a sunken submarine somewhere off Egmont key. I have been fishing the gulf for the last 6 or 7 years and have acquired a couple of the Top Spot fishing and Diving maps. On map # N205 it shows the location of Sunken Submarine almost due west of Egmont key in 28 fathoms. It's somewhere about 40 miles west of Egmont key. It's just south of what is shown as "Safety Fairway". I know now that he was telling the truth and he was probably the first diver to visit it.

There is, indeed, a German U-Boat near the location described.

You will see in this link:
Egmont Key: A History - Donald H. Thompson, Carol Thompson - Google Books

It is described as being 18 miles from the Egmont Key 'whistler' buoy, in 84 feet of water. Also nearby was a WWI (though it is likely completely gone by now) submarine that pulled out and sunk nearby after the war. I read on these boards of someone diving that one in the '70s and pretty much nothing being left of it.

More verification comes from the St. Pete Times:
St. Petersburg Times - Google News Archive Search
The article describes a salvage diver who made several trips to it in the '60s and had a diagram of it drawn.

The Submarine is in 28 fathoms and is about 69 miles west of Egmont Key. GPS location is N27'34.340, W83'53.340.

Congratulations Tomcat ... I am so happy you found your U Boat. I would love to dive it someday.

There is, indeed, a German U-Boat near the location described.

You will see in this link:
Egmont Key: A History - Donald H. Thompson, Carol Thompson - Google Books

It is described as being 18 miles from the Egmont Key 'whistler' buoy, in 84 feet of water. Also nearby was a WWI (though it is likely completely gone by now) submarine that pulled out and sunk nearby after the war. I read on these boards of someone diving that one in the '70s and pretty much nothing being left of it.

More verification comes from the St. Pete Times:
St. Petersburg Times - Google News Archive Search
The article describes a salvage diver who made several trips to it in the '60s and had a diagram of it drawn.

Thanks Matt I had almost given up hope that someone was still alive that would know anything about that sub. All I got was people saying it was only an old wives tale and there were no unknown German subs in the Gulf off Egmont Key. I'm sure the man I met back in 1963 was one of the diving partners of "Bill Hall" that was mentioned in the article. I believe his name couldn't be reveled because he was a high ranking retired Navy Officer. I wonder if anyone will be able to further document the details of the sinking.

Thanks Again
Tomcat

Resurrection of an old thread - did anyone ever get some GPS numbers on the location of these subs? Would make for a really cool dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom