Sunken Aircraft Carrier off the bay area coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffAustin once bubbled...
We never dove the stretch from Half Moon Bay north to Jenner.
We knew it as the Great White breeding grounds(or waters!) Especially around the Farallon Islands. We would wade and stir up sharks at Limintour spit, depending on the time of year. Bad visibility, also.

Scubaroo, I'm curious, do you dive in that stretch of water??

I do miss the kelp forests!!

I've done a couple of dives in Santa Cruz and know people who dive between here and half moon bay for scientific research. The vis is really low, the currents are nasty, and being all exposed the surf gets really big. All in all, I'd avoid the strech from S.F. to S.C.

I wanna go do the carrier, anyone have a submersable I could borrow for an afternoon?

You want a local wreck. Sink one!

There has been some talk off and on (and again recently) about sinking something in Monterey.

I'm all for it, and would be happy to do some of the legwork, but I just don't have the time to be the chief for this job.

There is diving in Santa Cruz, the Farrallons, Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur, the North Coast, Bolinas, and someone mentioned Pt. Reyes...but that sounds really dangerous.

I heard about Urchin divers in Tomales and Pt. Reyes who would carry a glock! No thanks. If you think you need a gun....I think most of the time you don't see the landlord until AFTER he's taken a bite.

Oh yeah, there is also the Luckenbach.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2002/09/30/state2113EDT0185.DTL

I looked up the coordinates of the Independence: Lat 37.28.24, Long.123.7.36
It seems that it is about 40 miles off of the coast, parrallel to Hayward, Ca. Is there a deep trench that close to the coastline? 3200ft seems awfully deep.

Couldn't find an exact figure, but the Monterey Canyon only a 2 hour drive south of San Francisco is about 2 miles deep, or over 10,000 feet.

There's a shore dive called Monastery North where the canyon literally comes in to shore - it's one of the few places in Monterey you can do an easy 130' shore dive, and at 130', it just keeps going down, down, down....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom