Sunglasses...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offroaddiver

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It seems like a weird question but how many people out there go through several sunglasses a year? I always go through 2 a year either they get scratched beyond vis or broken or take their place in a watery grave. So how many people buy good sunglasses. How much? and what brands?

Seems i loose or break the cheap ones $5-15 and scratch beyond repair $30-50 and snapped the frames of a couple of $75 sunglasses. I'm the type that until i get used to the summer sun I'm blinded by the turn of the year sun.

So anyone else have similar luck? And any good sunglasses out there that people have had for year? I'm thinking of getting some sunglasses from an optometrist's office that are around $180 because they're supposed to be nearly indestructible. Feed back would be great.

I have a pair of RayBans that are 25yo, they are always in the case when I'm not wearing them and only have 1 scratch on them.

Ive been through lots of sunglasses. About 3 pair a year because of scratces and the polarization rubbing off.Ive had a pair of Revos Titanium framed polarized for about 6months and not a scratch. They are 220 dollars but all the others ive had were around 150. you cant beat the titanium frames and also use a bungee arond neck so you dont set them down. Ido alot of work on the beach so my shades are just another tool.

If then, I recommend Maui Jim Titanium, Hingeless design (less failure point).

The good thing about Maui jim is their repair and warranty service. You can get the lens replacement at $75 no matter what accidents you have. In my case, I dropped my sunglasses during riding a horse. The horse smashed my sunglasses completely with her front legs, but they fixed it without any charges, even after the warranty period. I am not sure how many major brand companies actually have their own repair service center. Most companies subcontract their products, so it isn’t easy to get an actual repair service.

I was a big fan of Raybans, but I won’t go back after having a Maui Jim. If you try it on outside, you can see what I am talking about. Raybans became a middle scaled product.

Note: I am not affiliated with Maui Jim at all… Just one of their happy customers.

thanks for the feed back. just went out and bought a cheap pair of fishing sunglasses to cover me tomorrow afternoon. I know they won't last long.
So maui jim's are worth the money so far... interesting. keep em coming.

Living in Florida sunglasses come in handy all year long. I have had both Ocean Waves, and Costa Del Mars. Both companies have warranties similar to those mentioned above and the lenses are some of the most scratch resistant. Prices range from $120.00 to well over $200.00 but repair charges are usually minimal for scratches and other damage from normal wear....

I find about 20 pair every year while diving. Most are trash but I,ve found 4 pair of Oakley's. Please stock more good ones.

Maui Jims. Anyone who tells you anything different is just trying to justify buying good sunglasses for too much money. Maui Jims are great sunglasses and worth every penny of the almost $300 price tag.

Back
Top Bottom