sunfish in Roatan??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I just got back from a week in Roatan (Cocoview), and on our last dive we saw what looked like a small version of a sunfish. It was about 10" long by 18" high (vertical wingspan). I know that sunfish can be very large, so we're not sure if this was really one or not. We have gone diving in many places in the Carribean and the Pacific and haven't seen anything like this. Any clues?? Thanks.

Staying at CCV... did you ask Tim Blanton (the photo guy) or Patty Rutledge (The Dive Instructor)? They would surely know. The DM's might not know what to call something- but they have surely seen it all. At CoCoView, you were amidst a wealth of knowledge.

Sometimes- better than a physical description of the animal- more useful is an explanation of the critter's behavior, swimming style, location in the water column, location in reference to terrain. That would be very telling in a Sunfish.

Anything seems to be possible- invasive species added to the increased frequency of capable divers making observations... plus the internet's ability to report and broadcast individual sightings.

I'm sure you told them, so- Any guesses from the staff?

I'd give my eyeteeth to see a sunfish!!!

I have seen two in Utila in a school of tuna with a whale shark. They were too quick to get in the water with unfortunately. We see a lot of ocean triggerfish here, but they are clearly longer than they are tall, although the water plays tricks on you sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom