Sunday's (June 27) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ewa Blenny
062704a.jpg

Flea Cone (empty shell)
062704b.jpg

Wrasse (I.D. pending)
062704c.jpg

excellent as usual

i don't know the name of it, but could that wrasee the a juvenile of the one that's basically that same color but with a red tail? I need to learn Pacific fish ID's!

I'm leaning towards your early stage juvenile psychedelic wrasse theory.

I'd been asking around and couldn't get a definite answer, but I had no pic and people weren't really understaning my description. These guys are small. I have seen one very tiny juvie psychedelic wrasse with the red tail that had a somewhat similar body shape. Otherwise it looks more like the "marine betta" or "comet" from other spots further south.

Steve

Dee:
i don't know the name of it, but could that wrasee the a juvenile of the one that's basically that same color but with a red tail? I need to learn Pacific fish ID's!

Dee:
Check out this web site

Lisa,
Thanks for the website but it is not there. I don't see it in my Hoover book either.

Steve,
I am leaning towards the Psychedelic Wrasse also except the red tail is missing. It could be at the very early stage of the "initial stage".

I sent it to my marine biologist contact here on Maui. I'm awaiting the answer.

Great shots!!! I like the shadow on the Blenny pic... plus the detail on the coral is stunning. What am I saying... all the shots are stunning!!! How close would you say you were on the blenny shot??

boney,
I was probably 3 feet from the blenny with the zoom all the way out. I still had to crop the pic to get it even closer. In hindsight I probably should have had it off macro mode and zoomed in . It's a fine line at 3 feet between macro and non-macro Probably best to take a few of each.
Same is true for the wrasse.

I'm always amazed at the colors and sharpness of your pics. It feels like I could just stick out my hand and pick up that flea cone right off the screen! Ahh- I want my camera! One more week and I can start experimenting - yippee.

Back
Top Bottom