Trip Report Roatan Aggressor - Nov. 27 to Dec. 4, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stronj1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trip Report – Roatan Aggressor – November 27 to December 4, 2021

My husband and I flew from Dallas, Texas to Roatan on a direct flight on Saturday, November 27, 2021 with American Airlines. We have both been vaccinated so we did not have to take a Covid test to enter Roatan. We did have to complete an immigration pre-registration online. The Aggressor instructions included a link to help with this rather confusing pre-check form. Even though you request the English version there will still be some Spanish used for some of the responses. There was also a health assessment that can only be done within 48 hours of travel. We received online approval of our forms and printed them to have the paper copies with us to show at the airport. We also needed to take our original proof of vaccination along with us. If we had not been vaccinated, we would have needed proof of a negative test result.

Our flight arrived on time to Roatan at about 2:30 p.m. We were met by a representative from Aggressor who directed us to the van that would take us to Romeo’s Restaurant which is where the boat was docked. The cost was $15 US per person paid to the driver at arrival at Romeo’s. We were allowed to board at 3:30 p.m. which was soon after we arrived.

After boarding, we unloaded our gear that would be used on the dive deck and then were shown to our cabin to unload the rest of our items. There was no room to store suitcases under the bed so once they were empty, they were stored elsewhere on board.

Our room had a full-size bed with a twin bunk above. There were a couple drawers in the side of the bed, and a half size closet next to the sink, hooks beside the bathroom, and an in-suite bathroom. The room had its own temperature control which worked very well. We had some issues with the toilet clogging times during the trip but staff always promptly arrived to remedy the situation.

The meals were all delicious. Lunch always had a hot soup delivered to your seat and the rest was served buffet style. Dinners were plated and started with a salad and bread, then the main course, followed by a decadent dessert. There was generally a sweet, baked snack mid-morning and a savory snack mid-afternoon. Wine was provided but no diving allowed after partaking. Hot chocolate was served with or without rum after the night dive.

There were eighteen of us on this trip which was maximum capacity. Ten of the guests were a group from Mexico City who were all fluent in Spanish and English, a family of four from Boise, Idaho, two of their friends also from Boise, Idaho and the two of us from Texas. By the end of the trip I knew all of their names and had a chance to get to know them all at least a little.

We had five dives each day (Sunday through Thursday). These were generally at 8:00 a.m., 10:15 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 4:15 p.m., and 7:15 p.m. On Wednesday no night dive was planned as we were returning to Roatan from Utila. On Friday, we had two early dives (7:00 a.m. and 10:15 a.m.) before needing to head back to port.

On Sunday our dive sites were two times at the Valley of Kings and three at the Mr. Bud wreck (shrimping boat). We saw a yellow and black seahorse, a reef mantis, cryptic teardrop crab, and common octopus. Monday our dive sites started with eleven reef sharks showing up at Cara a Cara, then 2 dives at Mary’s Place, and 2 dives at 40 Foot Point. We saw schools of Southern sennets, blue tangs, and horse-eye jacks, several arrow blennies, a Caribbean reef octopus at night, a juvenile quillfin blenny and juvenile spotted scorpionfish. We traveled to Cayos Cochinos for our first two dives on Tuesday where we saw nurse sharks, a bearded toadfish, Atlantic spadefish, tarpon, and a green moray eel. Then we traveled to Utila to a site called Little Bight. This was a sandy location but probably my favorite of the trip for the unusual sea creatures. Divemaster Willie found a Southern stargazer, snake eel, margintail conger eel, upside down jellyfish, short nose pipefish, and large grouping of reef squid (more than thirty)! This was my first sighting for several of these. The last two dives were at a site called Jack Neal. The night dive had several bearded toadfish croaking loudly to each other and we found one of them almost completely out of its hole. On Wednesday the first two dives were at Cannery Bank. There were bluebell tunicates everywhere. They are so pretty. We also saw several lionfish at this site. The next sites were called the Pinnacle and the Maze before returning to Roatan. On Thursday our dive sites were Tavianna, Half Moon Bay Wall, and Eel Garden. We saw a hawksbill turtle, quillfin blenny, and a transparent tube dwelling anemone. On Friday, we repeated Cara a Cara (shark dive) and Mary’s Place again since everyone liked these sites so much.

On Friday after lunch, Covid tests were administered on board. My husband’s test was inconclusive the first time so they had to return that evening to redo his test since they did not bring any extra tests. There was an awards ceremony at 5:00 p.m. with snacks and fruit punch. I was awarded the Iron Diver medal and certificate for completing all 26 offered dives and was the only diver to do so this trip.

Friday evening we had dinner at Romeo’s which was the only option. This was probably the only negative for the trip. The service was very, very slow.

On Saturday morning, we opted to go to Silversides for a plated breakfast prior to transport to the airport. This was $15 per person plus $20 for the transport back to the airport. If you have time, I recommend taking this option. The food was great and the location very pretty.

This was our second trip on the Roatan Aggressor. Our first was in June 2019. On that trip, weather conditions prevented us from travelling to Cayos Cochinos or Utila. We really enjoyed both trips and plan to return again.

Attachments

• 20211129-PB290284.jpg
    20211129-PB290284.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 20211129-PB290493.jpg
    20211129-PB290493.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211129-PB290552.jpg
    20211129-PB290552.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20211130-PB300567.jpg
    20211130-PB300567.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20211130-PB300624.jpg
    20211130-PB300624.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20211130-PB300680.jpg
    20211130-PB300680.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20211130-PB300690.jpg
    20211130-PB300690.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20211130-PB300714.jpg
    20211130-PB300714.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20211130-PB300744.jpg
    20211130-PB300744.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20211130-PB300751.jpg
    20211130-PB300751.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 20211130-SGM_6786.jpg
    20211130-SGM_6786.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20211201-PC010789.jpg
    20211201-PC010789.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20211201-PC010791.jpg
    20211201-PC010791.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20211201-PC010949.jpg
    20211201-PC010949.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20211202-PC021002.jpg
    20211202-PC021002.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 102

My husband and I flew from Dallas, Texas to Roatan on a direct flight on Saturday, November 27, 2021 with American Airlines. We have both been vaccinated so we did not have to take a Covid test to enter Roatan. We did have to complete an immigration pre-registration online. The Aggressor instructions included a link to help with this rather confusing pre-check form. Even though you request the English version there will still be some Spanish used for some of the responses. There was also a health assessment that can only be done within 48 hours of travel. We received online approval of our forms and printed them to have the paper copies with us to show at the airport. We also needed to take our original proof of vaccination along with us. If we had not been vaccinated, we would have needed proof of a negative test result.

Our flight arrived on time to Roatan at about 2:30 p.m. We were met by a representative from Aggressor who directed us to the van that would take us to Romeo’s Restaurant which is where the boat was docked. The cost was $15 US per person paid to the driver at arrival at Romeo’s. We were allowed to board at 3:30 p.m. which was soon after we arrived.

After boarding, we unloaded our gear that would be used on the dive deck and then were shown to our cabin to unload the rest of our items. There was no room to store suitcases under the bed so once they were empty, they were stored elsewhere on board.

Our room had a full-size bed with a twin bunk above. There were a couple drawers in the side of the bed, and a half size closet next to the sink, hooks beside the bathroom, and an in-suite bathroom. The room had its own temperature control which worked very well. We had some issues with the toilet clogging times during the trip but staff always promptly arrived to remedy the situation.

The meals were all delicious. Lunch always had a hot soup delivered to your seat and the rest was served buffet style. Dinners were plated and started with a salad and bread, then the main course, followed by a decadent dessert. There was generally a sweet, baked snack mid-morning and a savory snack mid-afternoon. Wine was provided but no diving allowed after partaking. Hot chocolate was served with or without rum after the night dive.

There were eighteen of us on this trip which was maximum capacity. Ten of the guests were a group from Mexico City who were all fluent in Spanish and English, a family of four from Boise, Idaho, two of their friends also from Boise, Idaho and the two of us from Texas. By the end of the trip I knew all of their names and had a chance to get to know them all at least a little.

We had five dives each day (Sunday through Thursday). These were generally at 8:00 a.m., 10:15 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 4:15 p.m., and 7:15 p.m. On Wednesday no night dive was planned as we were returning to Roatan from Utila. On Friday, we had two early dives (7:00 a.m. and 10:15 a.m.) before needing to head back to port.

On Sunday our dive sites were two times at the Valley of Kings and three at the Mr. Bud wreck (shrimping boat). We saw a yellow and black seahorse, a reef mantis, cryptic teardrop crab, and common octopus. Monday our dive sites started with eleven reef sharks showing up at Cara a Cara, then 2 dives at Mary’s Place, and 2 dives at 40 Foot Point. We saw schools of Southern sennets, blue tangs, and horse-eye jacks, several arrow blennies, a Caribbean reef octopus at night, a juvenile quillfin blenny and juvenile spotted scorpionfish. We traveled to Cayos Cochinos for our first two dives on Tuesday where we saw nurse sharks, a bearded toadfish, Atlantic spadefish, tarpon, and a green moray eel. Then we traveled to Utila to a site called Little Bight. This was a sandy location but probably my favorite of the trip for the unusual sea creatures. Divemaster Willie found a Southern stargazer, snake eel, margintail conger eel, upside down jellyfish, short nose pipefish, and large grouping of reef squid (more than thirty)! This was my first sighting for several of these. The last two dives were at a site called Jack Neal. The night dive had several bearded toadfish croaking loudly to each other and we found one of them almost completely out of its hole. On Wednesday the first two dives were at Cannery Bank. There were bluebell tunicates everywhere. They are so pretty. We also saw several lionfish at this site. The next sites were called the Pinnacle and the Maze before returning to Roatan. On Thursday our dive sites were Tavianna, Half Moon Bay Wall, and Eel Garden. We saw a hawksbill turtle, quillfin blenny, and a transparent tube dwelling anemone. On Friday, we repeated Cara a Cara (shark dive) and Mary’s Place again since everyone liked these sites so much.

On Friday after lunch, Covid tests were administered on board. My husband’s test was inconclusive the first time so they had to return that evening to redo his test since they did not bring any extra tests. There was an awards ceremony at 5:00 p.m. with snacks and fruit punch. I was awarded the Iron Diver medal and certificate for completing all 26 offered dives and was the only diver to do so this trip.

Friday evening we had dinner at Romeo’s which was the only option. This was probably the only negative for the trip. The service was very, very slow.

On Saturday morning, we opted to go to Silversides for a plated breakfast prior to transport to the airport. This was $15 per person plus $20 for the transport back to the airport. If you have time, I recommend taking this option. The food was great and the location very pretty.

This was our second trip on the Roatan Aggressor. Our first was in June 2019. On that trip, weather conditions prevented us from travelling to Cayos Cochinos or Utila. We really enjoyed both trips and plan to return again.
Great report and photos. Thank you

Great photos. I especially like the close up of the tunicate.

Fine trip report! Love that bearded toadfish photo.
We did have to complete an immigration pre-registration online. The Aggressor instructions included a link to help with this rather confusing pre-check form. Even though you request the English version there will still be some Spanish used for some of the responses.
Thanks for mentioning this. I found it an aggravation (on my CocoView Resort trip May 2021) both going and coming. It's a Honduras thing, not a specific dive operator thing.

Richard.

Great report. Pictures are beautiful!

Great report! Thank you so much for sharing with us and the photos are wonderful.

Ya...I did that trip late last year. The food was great! Their chef was awesome. I really appreciated the hot soup they served for lunch and dinner. The diving was great and the crew was very accommodating. I will be doing that trip again.

Thanks for the awesome report-

I have been thinking about booking this trip for later in 2022.

Did you only see one turtle the whole week? I thought Roatan was more known for hawksbill and green sightings.

Did you have cell reception most of the time? I hate to ask, but I have to stay connected to work and this is a factor for me to decide on a trip.

Thanks!

We did have cell reception enough for texts and my husband thought email as well. I turned my phone off for the week.

We only saw one hawksbill turtle at depth and a couple at the surface. The boat crew said there were usually more sightings.

Ya...I did that trip late last year. The food was great! Their chef was awesome. I really appreciated the hot soup they served for lunch and dinner. The diving was great and the crew was very accommodating. I will be doing that trip again.
Yes, the soups at lunch were great. The fresh bread, salads, and desserts were also really good in addition to the main course. The selections were varied. It was amazing what Janna could do in that small kitchen galley

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom