Sunday February 21st SFO/Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There is a possibility that I might be able to arrive early for meetings on 22-23 of February and go diving on 21st.

Is anyone planning to do some diving? What are the general water conditions? (boat or shore is fine, not picky)

There is a possibility that I might be able to arrive early for meetings on 22-23 of February and go diving on 21st.

Is anyone planning to do some diving? What are the general water conditions? (boat or shore is fine, not picky)

I'll likely be out on a private boat that day, diving the Carmel side.

It's been rough and rocky of late, with a rash of storms postponing quite a bit of diving.

Water temps have been warmer than usual, about 55 degrees or so.

Let me know via PM if you're interested.

Interested. PM sent.

At this point it is above my maximums going into the weekend, but we can not see out all the way to Saturday. Things can change and the forecast could become much lower.

Use this link NDBC - NWS Forecast and then PZZ560 for a general idea of the conditions.

PZZ560-565-081800-
PIGEON POINT TO POINT PINOS TO 10 NM-
POINT PINOS TO POINT PIEDRAS BLANCAS TO 10 NM-
230 AM PST MON FEB 8 2010

FRI
N WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 3 FT.
W SWELL 10 TO 12 FT. CHANCE OF RAIN.

Taken Sunday at Gerstle Cove in 11-13' conditions. The wave shown was probably around 18' on its face.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Gerstle Waves.jpg
    Gerstle Waves.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 168
Ouch! This is bit above my comfort level too! Obviously we can't plan too much ahead but I will keep an eye on this one and see. This is almost 2 weeks from today so hope things calm down.

I will be in Monterey the same weekend for a class and the chances are we will be in the water under most any conditions. I just wanted to give you a way to judge the conditions before you left, so you can see when to look ahead.

Ouch! This is bit above my comfort level too! Obviously we can't plan too much ahead but I will keep an eye on this one and see. This is almost 2 weeks from today so hope things calm down.

I will be in Monterey the same weekend for a class and the chances are we will be in the water under most any conditions. I just wanted to give you a way to judge the conditions before you left, so you can see when to look ahead.

I find the offshore forecast more useful for boat diving. At least on the Monterey side of Point Pinos, for shore diving I tend to use the Monterey Bay forecast:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mtr/getcwfzone.php?sid=MTR&zone=PZ535

instead of the offshore one, and also check the buoy reports, particularly 46236 and 46240:

NDBC - Station 46236

NDBC - Station 46240

Probably our best local source for forecast conditions is here:

Monterey Sea Conditions at a Glance

and I'd also be sure to read:

New Monterey Diver Information

to give you a feel for our local diving environment.

Guy

Thanks for the info.

I dove at Monterey twice. Once shore dive at Breakwater and next day off the boat.

I had a great buddy (Pacificgal) that showed me around Breakwater and dove with me next day as well. At Breakwater I did a quick turn following her and got caught in the kelp and had to release myself out of it. I almost panicked but managed to untangle (snap some kelp etc.) and continue to dive. But that short time I sure did consume a lot of air and had to do a surface swim back.

I am arriving around 11am to SFO and I might drive down to Breakwater for another shore dive perhaps and Sunday do the boat dive. Both pending weather and water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom