Sund Rock Marine Park???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carldarl

Contributor
Reaction score
Memorial Day weekend there is a small group coming with our LDS. We have reservations at "Diver's Inn" and access to "Sund Rock Marine Park" for three days.

Having never been there before I am cureous as to what it is like. Any informaton would be appreciated. Things like:
Will a 7mil with hood and gloves be enough or do I need to bring a vest also?
Is this all shore access and how difficult is the access? (Bad back)
What are the accomodations like?
Any special do's?
Any special don'ts?
Bring my own tanks?
Can they fill HP to 3442 pounds?
Will Memorial weekend be a cattle call on land?

I'm excited as I have a new DR Transport/Wing, New DUI weight system and new HP120's. Guess I better spend some pool time soon huh?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Carl

Hoodsport and Dive will have no trouble filling you HP to 3500 They do mine all the time.
Sund Rock is a Marine Preserve ~ DO NOT collect anything. NO shells no rocks..
Leave it exactly like you found it.

The access is easy. You drive down and park. Suit up and a pretty easy walk to the water.
I recommend you walk in on the north and surface swim if you are planning on diving Sund Rock itsself. (it is to the south).
There is a small twisty trail that will get you to the South area by land. Most of my buddies would rather to the safer surface swim.
Don't want to fall in full gear.

How cold do you get? Last week when I dove Sund last water was a balmy 49 F.
I did it dry with a hood and gloves.

Do bring a camera ~ The area is beautiful and on occation if your timing is right ~
you will get to view a pod of Orcas.
Underwater camera is also recommended ~ Wolf Eels are plentiful and so are the GPO's most days. Nudi's, crabs, large ling cod, moon snails, sea whips. the list goes on.
I will look and find a link to a nice map.

I have never stayed over night I can not offer any information on accomodations.

Thanks for the information. Now all I have to do is convice one of my kids they'd rather go dive cold water with me than sit home alone while my wife goes to Chicago for a play. Now, if it were 82 degree water/air and a lot further South...

The accomodations at Yellow House (Diver's Inn) are great. There's a dorm room on the lower level that will accomodate 10 - 16ish divers, plus a private bedroom on the first floor and 2 private bedrooms on the second floor with a futon couch between those 2 bedrooms. There's a kitchen and living area in the dorm room. Full kitchen on the first floor. Full bathrooms on all three levels. There's a nice big hot tub, barbeque facilities, TV's & DVD players with a large selection of movies. Large storage building for gearing up including a drying room for your gear and a nice classroom.
You'll have a great time both below and above the water.
Sund Rock is a wonderful dive site with a lot of life as Cold H2O indicated. As far as mob scene for that weekend, you never know. The good thing about Sund Rock is it's regulated by Hood Sport 'n' Dive and will only fit so many cars. And there are 3 distinct areas to dive so even when there are a lot of divers there, not everyone is at the same place at the same time usually.
Have a great time. Maybe we'll see you there.

carldarl:
Thanks for the information. Now all I have to do is convice one of my kids they'd rather go dive cold water with me than sit home alone while my wife goes to Chicago for a play. Now, if it were 82 degree water/air and a lot further South...

The diving water in Chicago is barely 40° right now, so you all can come here to dive if you want!

Dean810:
The diving water in Chicago is barely 40° right now, so you all can come here to dive if you want!

My wife is going to Chicago to see the play "Wicked", The Wizard of Oz from the wicked witch's point of view. The closest she'll get to cold water is the ice in her drink glass. Both kids have to work so I'm on my own. Idaho's waters are a little cold and really dirty right now.

I'm trying to heal a torn slap tendon or something related to my rotator cuff before I come up. Started PT today. Told the tech she better get her butt in gear as we only have about 6 weeks.

carl, wylerbear, and skubak are two of the best guides there, gisgal changed her name so i dont know, kirsten (scubak) and all of her friends showed me some of the most fasinating diving i have ever done and that was at sund rock, i got GREAT pictures of eels and wrecks and a lot of what i have never done before, kirsten and georiga are so cool to dive with, great ladies, they know there stuff!!! sund rock is so awsome!!! contact these ladies and they are the ones to help you around the puget sound!!!!!! you cant go wrong with them!!!! oh wow i just saw the post by H2O, THERE SHE IS!!! gis gal, sorry h2o also is a great guide she also knows her stuff, these ladies are the best, they will take great care of you, they sure took great time and care of me while i was there and i cant wait to dive with them again!!!! they are the best!!

Jim ~ I was begining to think I was forgotten. :shakehead
Sorry the name change has thrown a few people.

Thanks for the glowing review. I know us gals had a great time diving with you.
Vis has been great ~ When you coming back? :05:

Here is a link for more information on Sund Rock. The site offers a great dive site map.

www.pnwscuba.com/directions.htm#sundrock

BTW, Wicked is coming to Seattle, too.

It's a great site.

In case you don't have it, here's the link for the dive shop

http://www.hoodsportndive.com/

Plus if you run out of things to see at Sund (which is highly unlikely), the Octopus Hole dive site is 5 minutes drive north.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom