Sund Rock death on Sunday 7/24/2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So sorry that this happened David. I'm sure that you are sick about it. Hang in there.....
Thank you...I'm trying to cope...it is harder than one can imagine...I'm always sad when I hear about this happening to others, but this is so much more painful

[Mod edit: this response is to Posts #12 and #15]

Having a fresh OW do the AOW deep dive the day after OW in lower visibility cold water conditions just sounds like a bad idea, unless if it was someone who had previous experience where the OW was more of a mere formality.

Reactions: BRT
I am the instructor
So sorry to hear about this accident David. We lost a close member of our dive group many years ago and it was incredibly difficult because of all the misinformation that was posted online. Our prayers are with the family of the woman who passed away as well as you and the others who were there. Hang in there!

I don't see anything wrong with posting facts from first hand experience. It's the people that speculate that cause problems - especially for the survivors of these horrible accidents.

I don't see anything wrong with posting facts from first hand experience. It's the people that speculate that cause problems - especially for the survivors of these horrible accidents.
People are sue happy in the US. That should be enough of a reason not to talk.

If there was nothing to hide and I was there during the accident, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to share the facts so people stop speculating. I know from first hand experience how devastating it can be when people start spreading rumors that are blatantly false. It's very hard on the families and people involved.

I think one of the things that @Marie13 may be alluding to is that the act of the instructor posting to a public forum is likely not in alignment with the T&C's of the professionals, professional/commercial insurance policy. It doesn't matter whether it's commercial insurance for a diving instructor, general contractor, or my umbrella policy (that I have for my own business activities) - it's usually a huge no-no, especially this early on.

People should Google for any of the many, many articles in which lawyers tell people who are potentially involved in legal action to keep their mouths shut. You cannot believe the way even the most factual information can be twisted. A couple of years ago I wrote a detailed analysis of a scuba fatality in which the wording someone involved used immediately after the incident was interpreted in a way he did not intend, so when he said essentially the same thing but in different words later on, he was accused of lying. He protested that he had not meant in his original statement what they were saying it meant, but it was a tough fight for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom